Anyone know how to fix the foam padding on earphones?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Doh, the foam on my headphones is tearing apart. Don't you hate it when that happens. Eventually, it will fall off unless...

Any tips as to how to fix it? I don't want to use crazy glue though.
  2. what kinda headphones? that's happening on my Sony headphones (not the big studio kind; the cheaper around-the-back-of-the-head kind). they usually come with replacement foam. i dunno about other kinds. don't forget this little fella:
  3. Some companies like Sennheiser sell replacement foam for their 'phones.
  4. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Are they "expensive" studio monitors or just plain old headphones? Are they uncomfortable without the foam?

If they are cheap, just replace 'em. If they are expensive but comfortable keep 'em.

Those are my suggestions. Good luck.
  5. They are the wrap-around-the-back-of-the-head kind. It's Sony and I like them (they were also a gift from a relative). I don't want to get rid of them because they work perfectly - it's just that the foam is tearing.

The way it's designed, I don't think I can attach new foamies without disassembling the headphones (is that possible?).

I wasn't aware than companies sold replacement foamies. Maybe Sony will have them...
  6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Superglue works fine. Serious. It won't leave any mark or anything, it just fuses the foam together.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've repaired the foam on headphones with superglue. I put some glue on the end of a toothpick and used that to be as precise as possible.
  8. same 'phones with me, same problem. it happens to ALL of 'em; everyone i know that has those headphones has the foam all ripped up. i think that foam pads slip right on and off, like with more plain-old-cheap headphones.
  9. I'll try...the foam is a lot thinner and flimsier than the typical earphones. It'll be like repairing a cotton T-shirt with glue.
  10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

-that might not work. How about one of those "breathable" bandages? Cut off a small peice of the adhesive strip and slide it under the foam?
  11. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    That sounds like a great idea!
  12. Would that be a permanent fix? Don't bandages lose their adhesive qualities after a while, even without jostling them?
  13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I have no idea. Maybe some of that material with a light coating of the old super glue?
  14. I'm gonna try the crazy glue idea except I'll go slow. If it looks like it won't hold, I'll think of something else. :meh:

Later that day...Well, I fixed the earphones with crazy glue. Not the greatest job but it works. Some important tips if you are going to try this at home:

- Crazy glue gets absorbed by the foam like a sponge. Use a small dab then pinch the two pieces together REALLY FAST. Otherwise you get a hard, crusty foam piece.

- Apply it to the outer edge of the tear. It'll soak down so when it's pinched together, the tear will be seamless, as opposed to applying the glue to the middle and having fluffy parts stick out.