1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone know how to get a roadie gig?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RyRob813, Mar 22, 2009.

1. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    Only 2 months left until my first summer of music school starts.

I'm trying my best to utilize music for my income this summer. I'm still waiting to hear back about an amusement park gig, and I'm auditioning for Carnival Cruise next month. If I don't get either of these gigs, however, I'm going to be stuck with a day job, and I'm trying to avoid that.

Something I was thinking about was being on a roadcrew for a summer stock tour like Warped Tour or Ozzfest. Does anyone know about this, or better yet, have done this? I don't necessarily need to be a bass tech; although I can definitely do things like change strings, find tones, adjust truss rods, ect. Having never done it, though, I doubt I'm ready for that. I can easily, however, carry around cabinets, load up semis, and things like that. I imagine a tour like Warped Tour which carries 50 bands needs extra hands for those things.

Anyone know how to get involved with something like that?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've done it several times for my local college and am still in contact with the backline company. They bring the stage, lighting and live sound gear, unload it, run it at local schools and whatnot. I get a call from time to time as an extra back to carry stuff, but not quite the same.

Once again, like anything else in the business, I would note that it's primarily networking.

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Grow a long beard, lose a few teeth, and stop showering for a while.

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oddly the same qualifications for truck driver, carnie, moonshiner, old mining prospector and Uncle Jesse.

5. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    and i imagine bands already have those techs assigned before the tour starts, as they don't want just any jamoke touching their gear...

There are often unions involved with these things for the larger tours, and I doubt Warped Tour is an exception. Well, at least any larger arena show tours have those type of stipulations (and maybe Warped is an exception, as they often do the parking lot things vs. the big sheds, right?)...the union guys, at least ime with stadium shows, have to load in the gear.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    call IATSE

7. It's something you just fall into. I was a roadie for a local band that went national last year. It was a lot of fun, but very tiring once you get to the end of the tour.