1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone know how to get bass blueprints?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by undertheashes, Nov 16, 2006.

1. undertheashes

undertheashes

Jun 8, 2006
    Idaho
    I am building a custom bass and need blueprints of an Ibanez SRX700. Anyone happen to know how to get these blueprints or what i should do if I cant get them?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not gonna happen. Trademarked shape, trademarked design.

You're building a custom bass and need the prints for an SRX700? Are you planning on building a clone?

3. undertheashes

undertheashes

Jun 8, 2006
    Idaho
    yes. Ibanez dosen't have EMG's or dosen't do custom colors so thats why i need to build a custom. Warmoth said they would do it but just need the blueprints. Im thinking maybe I can just get a trace out of it, but then i wouldn't know where to have them cut for the pickups or anything. This really sucks. HAHAHAHAHA.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Any decent luthier should be able to route for EMG's and refinish the body if you please. This would be the cheaper and easier route.

5. undertheashes

undertheashes

Jun 8, 2006
    Idaho
    I dunno. The emg pickups are shorter than what comes stock on the bass and so holes would show if i put the EMG's in plus I dont like the wood Ibanez is using for that bass. I want me some mahogany. Hmmmmm.

6. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    No offence but it is a pretty generic shape and i really cant see the point of having a custom bass built to just change the pups, wood and colour of a bass. But im sure you do so whatever good luck with finding offical blueprints as it is trademarked. Maybe just trace it and use a ruler to measure where the pups go

7. undertheashes

undertheashes

Jun 8, 2006
    Idaho
    yeah, i was thinking of doing that. I like the ibanez shape though. I dont like weird shapes that people usually get when they do custom basses. I think its worth it to get a custom bass for the color and pickups, BUt im also changing some things about it. Agular preamp, custom neck, battery box that they dont use in ibanez. different bridge. I know its a generic bass shape, but I love it. lol. AND YES...I KNOW ITS TRADEMARKED. Sometimes companies lend out their blueprints, Like fender did for warmoth and some other companies so they could make replacement parts for their basses. I just wrote this to check if anyone knew anything or knew the best way to trace it and stuff.

8. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Then why not get something like an SR3000 or some other higher end SR? Those usually have EMG sized pickups (it's a pretty common mod for the Sound Gears), and you'll be spending less than if you got a custom made.

9. undertheashes

undertheashes

Jun 8, 2006
    Idaho
    LOL. The sr3000 uses bartolini's and I want 2 specific types of EMG's. and I would be spending more if I got a custom made. The 3000 only goes for $980. It dosen't have the color i want either. I am getting a straight black Satin finish. Ibanez dosen't have a straight black satin finish on that body. I already have 2 high end SR basses anyways and a EDB700 bass.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Fender didn't lend anyone their blueprints to make copies. Warmoth pays Fender a licencing fee in order to have the legal right to make Fender shaped body parts and headstocks. I do not believe Warmoth would copy an Ibanez body regardless because of this trademark. There are certain things they can and cannot do, and produce something trademarked by someone else is not one of them.

If you're dead set on it, talk to a good luthier. If you really want a new body, a luthier could make it. If you're worried about the routing on the old body, it can be filled. Luthiers do know a thing or two about filling holes in guitars, it's what they do.

By the way, please fill out your profile so we might be able to help you more. What gear you use, where you are, etc.

11. undertheashes

undertheashes

Jun 8, 2006
    Idaho
    Well i asked them if they had restrictions on what they could do because of a trademark and they said they could copy that body, it came as a shock to me too. I know warmoth pays a licencing fee, but they still ahve the blueprints none the less. I will have to fill out my profile, just gotta get the time. LOL. THanks for talking about this with me though.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020