Anyone know how to lower the action on a warwick?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheBassBetween, Jun 27, 2005.

1. TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    Er, I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to lower the action on a Warwick Corvette Std. I wanna learn how to adjust it.

The Warwick manual has a few things, but I'm not sure which I wanna follow. There's: Adjusting the Just-A-Nut II, Adjusting the Bridge, Adjusting Pickup Height, and Setting the Intonation.

I'm pretty sure I wanna adjust the bridge, but I'd like to make sure. Also, what are the benefits of high action and low action?

Thanks in advance
  2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Low action's going to make it much easier to play. However, if you have low-tension (eg, really loose-feeling strings) you're going to get a LOT of buzz if you dig in. The benefit of high action is that you can really crank on the string.

Personally, I play with the lowest action my electrics allow, because low action also facilitates tapping, double-thumbing, and MG 4 finger technique. When playing normal fingerstyle, I also use a very light touch. Lowest tension strings I can find -- TI Jazz Rounds on my fretless, .95 E D'addario XLs on my fretted (I like a bit more punch for slapping, but the TI's sound phenomenal for everything else.)

That said, asking someone what their setup is like asking what their favourite colour is. You're going to get a lot of different answers, and none of them is "right" or "wrong" for you. Just kinda takes a bit of experimenting to do, and the Gary Willis link paintandsk8 put up is a GREAT guide to home setup.
  4. I'd say follow the advice given on the Gary Willis site first, but take advantage of the full adjustability that Warwicks offer if you still aren't satisfied. Since pretty much every part of a Warwick can be adjusted, you should definitely be able to get it the way you want it, but it takes time, especially if you make a change on the trussrod. Warwick necks tend to be pretty stiff and can take a while to respond to adjustment. I would also like to add that, until you really get the hang of it, don't make too many changes at once. It's important to learn the effects of the adjustments that you make as you make them.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I very much agree with jrug here. Also very much worth noting is that messing with the nut too much can (and will) seriously mess with your intonation. Best to keep adjustments there minute.
  6. TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    Ok. Well, I've lowered my action a little bit. One thing, however, is that my truss rod is VERY hard to adjust. I wanted to make a very small adjustment, and I had to use close to all my might to make it budge, and went it did, it did very suddenly-- as if I broke it. I'm pretty sure I didn't, so that's alright, but is that a bad thing if it's 'sticky' ?
  7. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Keep the action high and wail on the bass. With low action you have to rely upon the amp to generate most of the tone. You have a lot more control over vibrato and note bending with high action.

However if the action is high because the neck is warped, then you definitely have to get that fixed or adjusted!
  8. TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm *very* sure it's not broken, but is there a way to check if it is?

Also, if my truss rod is 'sticky', how would I go, unstickying it?
  9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    You can't lubricate a Warwick Truss Rod.
    It's a "two way" fixed system:
    As you can see, the 'nut' or the rod cannot be removed from a
    2-way fixed steel truss rod, and lubrication is futile.

Fully loosen strings before any adjustment.

Warwick Necks can take a up to a week to settle into an adjustment.
    When adjusting my Wenge Neck, I store my Truss Rod Cover
    in a safe place until all 'tweaking' is finished and the neck
    has had plenty of time to settle in.

If you really have to force the truss rod,
    or it feels like it won't move, bring it to repair-person.
  10. TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    Ok. I think I'm gonna bring it in for someone to look at. Thanks guys.