Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know how to record 16 tracks live?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassdr, Dec 8, 2002.

1. I have a Mac with Pro Tools and the M-box. Love the setup, easy to use etc. You can only record 2 channels at a time with it so the band can't use it for recording live.

Does anyone know of a way, either with a bus/computer/software or a stand-alone to record 16 tracks simultaneously?

A few of the stand-alones at musiciansfriend.com say that they can do 8 analog and 8 ADAT to record 16 at the same time but I don't really know what that means. I have e-mailed them a few times with no response.

What's the easiest way to record live and still go back and fix bad tracks later?

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Many high-end standalones do 16 or more simultaneous channels:

- Alesis ADAT HD24
    - Mackie HDR24, MDR24, SDR24
    - Roland VS-2480
    - Yamaha AW4416 (which I use)

to just name a few. You can do it with PC/Mac gear as well, like ProTools.

All of the above are expensive though...

3. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    The ADAT, also called lightpipe, is a protocol which can send 8 channels of audio through 1 cable. This way you can add another unit with 8 A/D-converters.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Link two Tascam 788's for. A boat load of channels for cheap. They'll export to wav for import to Protools. I havent actually done that yet but I will this winter for a project. '788 is a great little box for relatively low dough!

4Mal

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it wouldn't be terribly cheap, but two aardvark q10's would give you 16 digital mic preamps.

6. It looks like we've gotten enough funds together to get a digital board and a 24 track hard disk recorder. It's WAY more money than I expected but will give us a lot of flexibility. Thanks for the input guys!