Anyone know how to turn a mp3, wav etc into a MIDI? (if possible)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yoshi, Jan 14, 2004.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all.

Anyone know if it's possible to convert an mp3 or wav file into a midi and if so how/what programs can do it?

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    From what I understand, that is not possible. A MIDI is a collection computer generated sounds, where as a wav or a mp3 is a recording that is played by the computer. That is why MIDI files are so small, but at the same time, will never sound like the real thing.

There might be a program that converts a song into a MIDI interpretation of the song, but it won't sound like the real thing, it would sound like midi.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    A midi file is just a collection of computer instructions to play sounds once it enters a MIDI capable program.

THAT is why they are so small, they aren't audio files, they are data files, no audio in them to speak of, until they enter MIDI enabled program that can interpret them, and they COULD sound like real instruments, or rather, pretty damn close, but then it defeats the purpose of having such a small file :D ;) *

I have heard tell of some programs that were trying to bridge the gap between audio and midi, but they were faulty and poorly executed, so far as I know there is nothing currently on the market to do so.

Except Midi pickups, but that's a little different.

oh yeah, and to convert .mp3 to .wav, just get a converter, check

I know iTunes can do it too fyi.

*the highest quality samples take time to load, while the MIDI instruction file is still small, the instruments files(where the audio is stored) would get larger based on how many different samples you have, and what they can all do, it needs to load all those parameters, The cheapo solution, known as, General MIDI are those tinny fake sounds that you hear on computers all the time.
  4. funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    I used to have a .wav-to-.MIDI conversion program, had a simple title, something like wav2midi.. found it on

the short of it is- no, there's no way to do it.

the program I used would be effective for maybe transcribing really simple 1-tone lines from a recording of a piano in a really dry acoustic environment. Beyond that, it basically picked up every single overtone of every single note played, and what you wound up with was a giant mess. I converted part of an unaccompanied tuba piece, and what the MIDI sounded like was 600 xylophones unashamedly bashing away at something loosely based on the original .wav file I'd used.
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The only way to do it at the moment is through your own headspace - learn the tune (Transcribe! is great for this) and then use some midi software to recreate it. It does take time and effort but at least you come out of it knowing the song pretty well.

Presumably you're thinking of MIDI because you want the computer to score it out for you but I don't think it's going to happen for a long time :D One way your computer might be able to help is if someone else has already created a MIDI of of the song which sounds acceptable to you... but they, too, will have done it via the wetware converter!

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Which is a good point, there are gobs of people that spend all day transcribing their favorite songs to MIDI. While I don't condone using TAB, Powertab is a good program for making tabs, because it makes tabs in MIDI, once it's in a .mid format, it can be used on any midi capable software.

And there is an enormous wealth of songs being converted into powertab files all the time, then powertab just has to export as a .mid and it's all good.

So, while you learn a lot more doing it yourself, there is a huge amount of people doing it too, just something to keep in mind.