1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone know if DAddario Half Wounds can be cut?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SBassman, Nov 7, 2018.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Anyone know if DAddario Half Wounds can be cut - especially the E string - and wound into a bass tuner, without taper?

I used to use and love Half Wounds. I'd like to try them on my 26" scale bass. I *think* I used to get away with cutting them, but I don't remember, and these days I really can't afford another $25 failed string experiment. :) Does anyone know?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    No

3. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Your best bet is getting the lightest gauge set, let it wrap around the post, and hope for the best.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I would definitely use the lightest. But, do you know one way or another, or are you guessing based on the general inclination to fail at cutting E strings? :)

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I see they go down to 40 to 95. I would try with those.

?

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I dont guess.

7. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Short scale set is only available in 45-100. You would have best luck with that one.

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    If you haven't used Half Rounds in a while (like 10-15 years) be aware that D'Addario changed how they're made. The new Half Rounds are the only strings I've ever played in 33+ years as a bassist that felt "creepy" to me. There's something unsettling to their texture, haven't felt that with any other ground/pressurewound string (although I find the texture of some coated strings unpleasant in a different way). Take that as you will. If you like the new ones than feel free to completely ignore this post :)

9. The only major change I'm aware of is D'A Half-Rounds used to be stainless steel, whereas the current ones are pure nickel. I wonder if that's the reason for the "creepy" feel...