1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone know much about Conrad brand?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 62Start, May 10, 2010.

1. I just bought a Conrad semi-hollowbody, double-cutaway (horns) bass in sunburst. The wood, finish and hardware is all in excellent condition. Conrad was made in Japan and I believe was associatied with Baldwin. Everything I have seen on Conrad indicates the brand sold between 1966 and 1972 or so; there is a fair amount written about Conrad guitars on the net, but I haven't found anything on a Conrad bass.

The quality of the hardware is very high; there is no checking in the finish and it even has the orginal mute still on the bridge.

The bass has only two low points 1) the original case was paper board (yuck!), and 2) even with the very nice adjustable floating bridge set at its lowest, the strings are much too high off the fretboard; thus, its hard to say how well it plays at present.

I have a new Eastwood Classic IV hardcase on order (the only one I have found to fit these old semi-hollow body basses) which will fix the case problem.

However, it looks like the bridge will require some modification (machining) to get the string height down to a reasonable level.

2. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    My buddy and I both started bass around the same time. His first bass was actually a Conrad SG Bass copy. the thing was sweet, his aunt had bought in back in the 70's, but she never played it much (still had the original stock flatwounds!). It was a smooth playing bass though, I loved it. He ended up having to give it back, then bought a Jazz Bass