Anyone know of a finger-tip product

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DemoEtc, May 23, 2005.

1. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    That would allow a guitarist (with nails) to play the bass finger-style without that 'clicking'?

This is for me. I'm a bassist/guitarist, pretty much 50/50, and play 12-string acoustic guitar in my band. Thing is, every time I have to lay bass tracks - which I really love doing, when the bassist 'side' of me comes out - I have to file my picking finger nails down to almost nothing. I leave the 3rd finger and thumbnail the way they are, but there's always that week or 2 before the index and middle nails grow back long enough to be useful on guitar.

The obvious thing is to keep the nails short and use fingerpicks (I'm experimenting with Alaska Piks) when playing the guitar, there anything else anyone has heard about? Something like false fingertips or something you dip your fingertips into and it sets up and feels like skin (somewhat) - like that red rubber stuff you dip the handles of tools into to give them grip.

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I play bass and 12, so I'm gonna lurk here.

I use a heavy pick on the 12, and don't need the long nails,
    though my right hand nails break easily anyway. The 12
    keeps my left hand in good shape, and keeps away stiffness
    and arthritis. The Martin HD12-28 sounds lovely anyway
    and is my acoustic of choice.

But you suggested it, go to the nail parlor and have them
    do up a set of fake nails, clear to the length you want.
    See how that works out. If you need stronger glue, there is super glue. Ouch. But who knows, it might work.
    You might even be able to pull them off and re-use them.
    Who knows.

Pick a nail parlor where the chicks are hot!
    :eek: :smug: