Anyone know of a good Horn Tweeter for Bass Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LoveThatBass, Nov 20, 2004.

1. I have an Avatar tweeter horn that hums alot. Many complain of this although not all have this problem.
    Are their any good horns for a bass amp that are not noisy?
  2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    I doubt a tweeter could "hum".It rather "hisses" ;) .
    Play your cab using another amp and see if there's a difference.If with another cab the hum/hiss is gone,it's your amp's fault,not the tweeter's (a loudspeaker plays what it gets from the amp no matter it's mud or crystal).
    Anyway,if you state that something's wrong with the tweeter itself,give a look at P-Audio line of drivers.They offer a wide range of tweeters wich can sucessfully cope with your Avatar (btw,Epifani cabs are fitted with P-Audio's).
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have an avatar cab as well and ive noticed the tweeter hisses. I dont really use it much, i have it on at maybe 1/10, so i dont really notice hiss, but its not completely off. If i turn it up though, it hisses. If i ever wanted to use a good tweeter in the future, how easy are they to replace?
  4. my eden has a coax. i hear major hum when i get near the tweeter. That is what single coil pups do if wired vintage style without shielding. just run both pups full open when you get near and the two pups cancel out the hum, or "buck the hum."

tweeterless cabs don't do this.
  5. This is a buzz at about 1/4 the signal level. It is not dependent on the volume of my amp really but more on how high I turn the Tweeter's L-Pad. Increasing the treble does affect it negatively but you cannot get rid of it by lowering the treble..only the L-Pad.
  6. Problem solved..replaced the 12AX7 preamp tube with a Groove Tube 12AX7R. Now just a very slight buzz.

I would like to get a decent 2-way crossover for 4 ohm 15" speaker and 8 ohm tweeter horn.
  7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Titanium Bullet tweeters, P-Audio, Eminence tweets will all be sweeter and smoother sounding than the dreaded Foster tweeter. If you have silly money to spend go buy a JBL 2402 supertweeter. Lots of zing for the Ching.