Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know of a good short-scale bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sal_Paradise, Jul 17, 2004.

1. A friend of mine is looking for a short-scale for her first bass. She's a tiny gal, so she wants something small. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with short-scaled instruments. I've played a couple, some noname beginner basses that were crap. And I've played a Hamer Slammer, which I thought was pretty descent! So, if anyone has some light to shed, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    daisy rock basses are feminent and short scale, and if shes a ripper, kubicki and alembics are short as well.

3. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Epiphone EB-O
    Squier Bronco
    Epiphone viola

Those are small basses. I like all 3 of them but for the squier bronco be carefull their are alot of crap ones out there.

Good luck
    Jim

4. Merci beaucoup! I probably should have mentioned that she's looking for something in the $4-500 range :cool:

5. I love Fender Mustangs, they sound and play great. Brand new they are $529

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    IMO stick her on a P bass. Scale really doesn't make all that big of a difference unless she's a midget. I'm like 5'4 100 lbs and I tend to play 34-35 scale basses. IF you REALLLY must have a short scale I guess you could get somethign like a P or J Bass junior. But I would honestly try to get her to put up with a standard sized bass guitar. I'm sure after a bit of time it won't make a big difference. A friend of mine started on a short scale bass (like REALLLY short, like guitar neck size) The bass was a piece of feces and it just made her feel awkward when it was time to buy a real bass. My 2 cents, you don't have to listen ;)

Baker

7. Sargeant,

Any feedback and cents are much appreciated. I thought the same thing as far as wanting to up the scale length later on. Maybe one day, when she's gotst the cash, I'll make her a 32" :D

8. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    So you make basses eh? got and photos?

9. Not really considered a shortscale..but its neck is typically shorter. Rickenbacker (33 1/4").

10. I haven't made any basses yet. I've done some repairs and setups for friends. And I made myself an instrument I call an Egamorf. I bought a cello bow, but didn't really have anything to do with it. So, I made a three stringed bowed instrument. I could prolly upload some photos of that sometime. But, this is a bass forum...

I started my first bass two months ago. So far, I've made a nut blank from ebony, a body blank from poplar, cherry and bocote, and... yeah :bassist: I was laid off for a month, so a lot of the money I was going to be spending on materials went towards not starving to death.

But, I figure that by the time she's ready for a new bass, I'll have made a few. Hopefully, anywink...

11. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    post the pics! we wont mind, and I'd love to see the bass when it's finished!

12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

Yes Yes please!!!

13. Now, it's ugly as sin, but it works. The intonation (much to everyone's surprise) is perfect. The only tools I used were a file, a $20 B&D drill, a hand planer, a hacksaw and a phonebook worth of sandpaper. This was how I got the bug. I had a Peavey T-60 and a DanElectro U-52. I much preferred the Dan-O, so I took the neck from the Peavey, and defretted it. Then boughtst me $40 in wood (basically a sample kit {just some maple, walnut, zebrawood, and cocobolo}) and then started building. The only part I researched was where to put the bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The nut, is actually three nuts. Because the fretboard is rounded, like any bowed instrument's. Walnut, no problems yet.

Body is walnut, maple, walnut. Opposite order for the bridge pieces. Cocobolo TR cover and string-stopper. Some slices o' zebrawood to cover up the holes from the old machine heads, and some mo' at the bottom to cover up the transducer. Hmmm... yeah! That's about all I can say about it. It has brass acoustic strings on it, which I'm going to exchange for cello strings once I have the money. And... yeah :p

After I made it, I got the bug. Started reading everything I could find about construction and repair. My friends were trusting enough to hand over their instruments for setups and repairs. Everyone's been really great. I've had a few people ask me to build them instruments (some even want Egamorfs). Wow... Am I still taking???

Hope you enjoy le pics!!! And thanks so much for showing some interest! I'm new here, and... yeah! I'm blown away at how much of a community this actually is!

14. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    RED X'S NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! :bawl: Fix IT I'M GETTING ANTSY IT SOUNDS AWESOME!

15. RED X'S?!?!? I hope red x's are a good thing!!!

What am I to fix?

16. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    the pictures, they don't work. it just shows those little red X's you gotta repost the pictures so they work :p

17. Uh-oh! How do I do that? How come I can see them?? Is it maybe a web-browser thing? Oh crap! WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?

18. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    argh email them to me! this instant! I DEMAND SATISFACTION! :hyper: I've eaten too much cheese and boxed raisins this evening. But seirously email them if you can :)

19. Sent to: claypool_frogbrigade12519@ hotmail.com