1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone know of a good wah pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chap, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Hey yall. Lookin to buy a wah-wah pedal.... what would you suggest and why? include prices!

Chap

2. Teese RMC 3

true bypass
    totally adjustable (every single parameter)
    great range for 5 string bass, guitar, keyboards
    comes with a manual
    pricey but will be the best wah
    built well
    G. Teese has great customer service

http://www.realmccoycustom.com/

I have the Teese Picture wah for my guitars. Unbelievable!

3. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    I was on musiciansfriend.com and found a wah wah that is pretty cheap. what do you think? (Lists for $160, but sold for $40.)

4. Dont buy a guitar wah unless you try it and like it a lot. A good bet to buy one sight unseen is the Dunlop Bass Wah.

Dont buy a cheap guitar wah sight unseen though.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have the dunlop 105Q. It's the best of the non-boutique bass capable wahs, IMO. I've never heard the CLYDE or the one mentioned above.

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I just ordered a Blue Bawls, for guitar (I'm really a bass player, just play guitar for fun), so when I get it in a couple of days I'll try it with bass and let you know how it sounds.

7. Any wah that is not true bypass will kill your tone when the wah is not in use but remains in your signal chain.

8. I just got the Dunlop Crybaby Wah. Thought I scored well with a $60, still-in-box-wrapped-in-plastic deal. The pedal was in perfect condition, but it doesn't *wah* very well. It has a tiny sweet spot (about two-thirds from the bass end) and the rest just cancels out my tone. I am playing a Hamer five-string into a SWR 4x10, with the only other box in the signal chain being a Sansamp Tech 21 DI. I tried the pedal through other set-ups, and the same problem still existed. Disengaged, there is no audible noise or compromising of my existing tone, but engaged it really blows. All-in-all, I am very disappointed.

I got the Dunlop because Bass wahs are hard to find in my part of the world and I figured ol' faithful would be a good choice. Now I want to trade it on a decent overdrive pedal (the Sansamp is good, but I want it downright NASTY). My recommendation - try it first with your current setup before doling out the cash.

9. Dunlop wahs are fantastic....

....paperweights.

10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I said earlier that I would let you know how the Snarling Dog Blues Bawls sounds as soon as mine arrived, so here goes, (by the way, Musicians Friend doesn't have it listed anymore).

It is a combination Wah and Overdrive pedal. I'll start with the Wah, since that is what the thread is about. It has 3 Wah modes:

White Room (Clapton type) bassy sounding
    VooDoo (Hendrix type) midrangy
    Shaft - trebly

The obvious choice for bass is the White Room setting, and it sounds great, lots of low end, just right for bass. The VooDoo setting is thinner sounding, like you would expect with a guitar Wah used for bass. Not very good for bass, IMO, but some people might like it. The Shaft setting is VERY trebly and only seems to wah on the highest frequencies, making it all but worthless for bass. The White Room setting is perfect for bass, and makes it worth the $40 I paid for it.

Now for the Overdrive (they call it Distortion, but it is more of a Tube Screamer type of sound). It sounds good with bass on low gain settings, nice grind, but sounds knd of thin, noisy and grainy at higher gain settings. It is perfect for that classic rock, JPJ sound, but not very good for higher distortion sounds.

My conclusion: for the $40 I paid for it, it is a STEAL. The overdrive alone sells (when sold as a stand alone unit by Snarling Dogs) for around $60, and the wah has a great sound for bass. If you can find it for anywhere close to the price I paid GET IT AT ONCE!

Oh, yea - it sounds even better with guitar (which is what I bought it for, to play Voodoo Chile). I can't believe that I found a great sounding wah/distortion that can do double duty on guitar and bass for only $40...

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I'm a cheap mofo.
    I love the ones in my Korg AX-1 B.
    They're really good, especially considering the price.

For a real wah pedal, I think the Dunlop 105Q is the best.

Morley bass wah just don't fit me, they're not savage enough.

12. BFunk

BFunk Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Moogerfooger Lowpass filter with an expression pedal. Sounds awesome. You need an external true bypass though.

13. tard85

tard85

May 5, 2002
    I've been wanting a good wah pedal, but I just don't know what kind to get. Can you guys give me some ideas on some good ones to get? Thanks.

14. merged threads together

15. Not one mention so far of the following, and all merit consideration:

Snarling Dogs has a Bass Bawl pedal that "the Friend" (aka the GC catalog operation)was liquidating recently as well as at the GC stores.

Morley's ProBass Dual Wah gives both pedal-actuated and touch wahs for a c-note.

Boss's AW-3 is their standard stomp box and has bass-specific touch wah, and you can also splice in an expression pedal for pedal actuation.

Boss also makes a new one called the PW-10 which also has some bass-specific settings and claims to model classic wah pedal sounds and also has switchable OD and 3 user-programmable settings. I test drove this one at GC not too long ago. If I didn't already have the AW-3 I'd have bought it. I am quite happy with the AW-3, as it can also get filter-type sounds in the BassBalls and Q-tron areas (though only to a moderate degree on the latter). It really depends on your needs, but I have always been a fan of versatility. Sorry, no prices, since these should be commonly available by looking at the various online retailer websites like Mars, Activemusician and of course, the Friend, whom I ordered a PA system from today.

16. ...oh yeah, I forgot the Tech21 Killer Wail Wah, which competes with that new Boss in terms price, but not bells & whistles.

17. Hey Chap.. Ask Jauqo III about that Morley dual bass Wha he uses.. He appears in a magazine add of it.. :D

18. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Dunlop 105Q. I just bought this one and I'm quite pleased with it. Previously I had written off everything Dunlop as junk. I tried it in the store on a whim and ended up really liking it despite being prejudiced against it more or less. I've played back to back with it in and out of my signal chain and there is no real discernable alteration in tone, at least in live settings.

19. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Hehe Rogue!! ;) *runs away, then trips...*

actually I also own the Dunlop 105Q wah. It is a decent wah, I enjoy it. It also has a true bypass so you save battery power, if you use them that is. Good luck