Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know of a Mini Disc or MP3 Recorder that can Upload to PC?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by gfab333, Mar 17, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I want to be able to record live performances on a mini disc or MP3 device and then upload it to a PC for burning.

The new Sony mini discs let you record on to the disc, but you can't upload live recordings to your PC. This is because of Sony's concerns about copyright.

Know of any devices?

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Please tell me about it. What device do you use? how do you transfer the file - PC software? what kind of file format is it? don't you have to convert the file to WAV or MP3 before burning?

Thanks

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks Smash! I thought that the USB connection was only way to get the file from the minidisc recorder to the PC. I didn't think of the audio out.

I use Cakewalk and Nero. So, from what you've said, I should be able to acomplish this by 1) connecting the minidisc's audio out to my sound card's audio-in (1/8" to 1/8" jacks), 2) have my Cakewalk software in record mode using the soundcard's "audio-in" signal as a source, and 3) play the recording in the minidisc. This will result Cakewalk creating a track of the minidisc recording. It can then be converted to a WAV or MP3 by utility programs. Do I understand you correctly?

I just want to record my band; I'm not interested in making bootlegs of concerts by recording artists.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii