Anyone know of a Talkbass for photography?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, May 28, 2004.

1. I have a chance to score a Canon A1 with good lenses, speedlight, filters...blah blah...for a good price. It's a camera from the 1970's, manual focus et al. I want to be able to use this for concert photography but it's average-weighted metering only. I want to know if there are tips/tricks for faking/compensating for lack of spot metering.

Any good sites where I could post questions?
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland There are a bunch of forums there which are a great resource.
  3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    If you want to go with manual lenses and canon, there was a camera, like the T30, T50, T70 just before manual focus that had good evaluative metering but not autofocus. Canon changed their lens mount for autofocus. This is bad in that older lenses can not be used with modern canon cameras. This is good in that they may be cheaper. Even the bottom of the line Rebel has better metering than the A1. I would not do concert photography without spot and evaluative metering, TTL flash from the actual camera manufacturer, and flash compensation. You want to always use the minimum fill flash so you get the color of the stage gels in your shots. I experiment with manual mode and fill flash. Pick a speed like 1/60, open up all the way, hopefully 2.8, and see what film speed you need, put your flash on the lowest compensation, hopefully 2 stops, bam. If it doesn't look good, go to another show with better lighting. You will have lots of throwaways that did not come out. This is the most difficult photography there is, in the lowest light, don't make me relive this part of my past. I play bass. I am happy now.
  4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Look at the Canon EOS 10D. Look at the best Canon on camera flash with compensation. Look at a flip flash bracket that lets you rotate the camera but keep the flash on top. Look at non canon zoom in the range of 28/35 to 135/200 with a constant aperature of 2.8. Very important. With cheaper lenses, the aperature gets smaller as you zoom in.

Now you know everything I know.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    IMO, start with the forums - there's good general discussion and reading there. is good, but mostly digital in nature.

The easiest way to fake spot metering is to use a longer lens to meter (or a zoom), then change lenses or zoom out to shoot. I don't think this would work very well for concert shooting - zooms are too slow (I'm speaking of aperture here) and the light is constantly changing, which makes lens changes useless. I used to hate shooting concerts for the paper until I got a handheld spot meter - the Nikons of the era didn’t have TTL spot metering, either.

My suggestion: shoot a color print film with gobs of latitude, and bracket like crazy!

(I have to say DSLRs make this kind of stuff much easier - shoot, chimp, adjust, shootshootshoot... I’m getting a much larger percentage of exposure keepers with my D1 than I ever did shooting ‘chromes in my F2s/F3/F4e!)