1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone know of an actual bass teacher in NY/LI? (not a guitar player playing bass)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Gorn, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    So I'm 29 and have been teaching myself for about 6 months, and I'm doing fairly well but I'd like to take lessons from an actual bass player, not a guitar player who also plays bass. Any thoughts? Preferably in the Queens/Nassau county area but I'll take a drive if I have to.

2. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Call the Bass Collective in the city
    There are some NY Bassists (not g***ists) that are members and post here. You should have no problem.

3. Hey!

Check out a guy name Mike Frost... He's a killer player, knows how to teach, and just a good guy. Also a former student of Pat Martino and Jaco. He's a Long Island native and travels b/w South Carolina and LI to teach. http://mikefrost.co/ PM if questions!

Best of luck!

4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Mike is a fantastic teacher.

5. jslmk4

jslmk4

Feb 16, 2010
    Staten Island,NY
    Hey guys and gals. I'm also looking for a good bass teacher but im in Staten Island, any suggestions on a true bass teacher in my neck of the woods? Thanks.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think you should start a new thread with Staten Island in the title. Anyone in NYC is technically only a few miles away from you but it's such a pain getting in there, not to mention the toll fees.

7. jslmk4

jslmk4

Feb 16, 2010
    Staten Island,NY
    Duh!!!!!! Lol....thanks man.