1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone know of any clip that illustrates the warwick growl?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Demon, May 7, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Does anyone know a clip or song that CLEARLY shows off the warwick growl^^?

2. The very first second of 'Imprint' by Vision of Disorder.:bassist:

3. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    heheh 1 second^^

4. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Every heard of the band Mudvayne? Just about every 3rd song you can hear Ryno's bass growling

5. Lunardecay

Lunardecay

Mar 6, 2006
    What does it mean to have a bass growl?

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    The exact explanation of "growl" cannot be properly made with words, and has been hotly debated. This much is not debated: Go play a Warwick bass, and you will understand.

Although other basses may growl, few would argue that Warwick is the most blatant example of "growl".

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    full bleed, can you recomend a mudvayne song?

8. how about "not falling"?

9. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Listen to Stuart Zender's work on Jamiroquai's earlier albums. The bass is usually quite audible and prominent and it gives a good example of great bass growl with a softer side. Very different then Mudvayne.

-Eric.

10. Anything by Fishbone - Norwood Fisher plays a mean fretless 5 string Thumb - the Reality Of My Surroundings being my fave example - see if you can find 'Sunless Saturday' on a p2p network.

M

11. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    James Lomenzo on Pride & Glory's "Pride & Glory".
    Pure 100% Warwick growl.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Mr. Moon - Jamiroquai

13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Great tune and great example!

14. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area

Fishbone - sunless saturday vid you can really hear the growl in the pre-chorus

Rich

15. bassash

bassash

Mar 23, 2006
    Totally and utterly second that - got me a Warwick Jazzman and it reminds me mostly of 'Too Young to Die' by Jamiroquai. Such a simple bassline, but it sounds ace and really works with the Warwick sound.

PS: Mudvayne are quite abysmal :p

---------------------------------------------------------------

www.myspace.com/panamadowns

16. If you get any of the Dave Matthews Band albums pre- Busted Stuff{i think}...there are pppppplenty of songs recorded on warwicks.

17. That is fantastic - why aren't there more bands like this now? I loved Fishbone so much - I still love this album and have it on gatefold vinyl (awesome!) - but they really know how to mix great playing with great tunes and are amazing live...one of my fave bands of all time. Norwood's bass playing was a massive source of inspiration for me when I was younger - he's such a classy player and always wrote great basslines - the piccolo trumpet solo at the end of this tune is great as well but it's cut from the video - thanks so much for posting this!

PS second the Jamiroquai props - Zender drove that band and his tone was key to that - no disrespect to Nick Fyffe (cos he's a wicked guy and player) but the band really lost their bite after both he and Zender left - I really don't like them now.

M

18. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Incubus- Battlestar Scratchalactica.

19. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Yeah, I was gonna go there. This is one of the best examples ever of the Warwick growl...but does anyone know if Norwood tunes down to B flat, or to A? He hits B flats on this tune all day long, but does he drop just the one string? A semitone? To "A"? Tune the whole bass down? Anyone know?

My fretless Thumb 5 can't really pull off the "A" (at least not with the Elixirs that are on it). Wondering if anyone has seen an interview or anything...

20. I learnt this song ages ago and I knew he was playing 5 and I only have a four - so I would go to a drop D - but I don't think he actually plays the low Bflat - you can clearly hear the 'normal' B flat on the bridge etc - but in answer tooyur question I have no idea if he detunes a semi-tone - Bass PLayer did a good interview with him but I don't recall him mentioning tunings.

M