Anyone know of any good steel drum recordings?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by volumefiend, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Hey,

Anyone know of or have any good steel drum recordings or albums?
  2. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    The Bela Fleck DVD "Live at the Quick" (I think) has some cool steel drum on it. It's been a while since I've seen it, so I'm not sure how much - besides, I was kinda watchin' Vic. :bassist: :bassist:
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Reza - Jaco pastorius

quite possibly my favorite jaco song, it also features great steel drumming, and percussion section work.

Othello mornieaux(sp?) played steel drums on that track.

speaking of jaco, his last album, holiday for pans, is all steel drum stuff, I've only heard a couple cuts from it, but what I heard was great!

It's not readily available though, I have heard tell that there is some bunk copies going around, I dunno.

'good morning anya' from the jaco pastorius anthology, is a great track from the album though.

also, the album 'invitation' and 'twins 1&2' feature a lot of steel drum stuff.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  5. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Theres a band called the Asaphonics Steel Drum Band from Trinidad and Tobago. They have two albums, mostly gospel music and American folk songs, but if you can find them, you'll never hear better steel drum bands. Its all steel drums, about 12 guys, and then an assorted percussionist and a drummer on a drumset. Very cool stuff.
  6. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I want to play steel drums! I forgot about it.

Tomorrow when I get to school I'm going to demand the location of the steel drums. I know they haven't been played in a long time, they need to be exercised
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...maybe they need to be exorcised first?
  8. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Possibly. In my 4 years at this school, I've never seen them out of their containers... When I did see them, it was because I opened the case up. I've never heard them played
  9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yup, that Othello Molineaux dude is really good. I've got a live dvd of Jaco at the Montreaux Jazz Fest in '82 and he does an awesome little solo on the steel drum.

All these eaux's remind me of the Marleaux Consat custom 5 string I dream of...