Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know some good cheaper cigars?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I mean, among the stuff you get a Walgreens and stuff. I am looking for something mild and flavorful. Thanks for any advice!

2. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Wow,that's a pretty open book there! I think you're going to have to test some,because everyone's opinion is going to be different. ;) -Luke

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, Phillies are ok. But I want something smoother. not so thick. y'know?

4. Shh. You didn't hear this from me....

Swisher Blunts are good, but I am very partial to Black and Milds. Very smooth. I love my "B 'n' Ms".

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Blecch! Go to your local tobacconist (if you are lucky to have one in your town) and go into their humidor. Usually they have some "seconds" that go for about a buck each. If all else fails, ask. Most tobacconists are very friendly and will help you find a cigar for you.

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    +1

You should be able to find someone in your town who specializes in tobacco. You can find decent cigars that have Honduran tobacco for a couple bucks.

If all else fails, try to find some "John T's". Those are pretty decent...way better than Swishers. They come in a long plastic tube.

7. watch out for the apple flavored black 'n milds.... cause when they said apple, i think they meant ass. :eyebrow:

8. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    If youre looking for cheap, good cigars, track down a cigar shop/cigar bar/etc that sells rejected cigars. These irregular cigars can be had cheaply, and will smoke much better than other stuff of equal price.

I used to smoke fuentes at a cigar bar with a pint of guinness (underaged drinker) before the cigar craze came (somewhere around 1997). The price on those fuentes quadrupled, and I couldnt keep up.

Thats when I found that great cheap bin of rejects. Stopped going there when the bar got crowded, though. That craze ruined a perfectly bad habit.

9. Find a Tobacconist shop and try a few till you like one. Most shops don’t have seconds where I live but then again there are several manufacturers here that do have them. Seconds are just cosmetically inferior, the leaf and wrap are just as good as the ones they box. One brand you can try is Macanudo nice smoke and you can find them most anywhere.
    One tip when picking out a cigar is to find one that you feel you can smoke at one sitting, putting out a cigar and letting it cool and relighting it makes it taste like a$$. Also don’t buy a box unless you feel you can smoke it fairly fast or have a humidor to keep it in or the last half of the box will be dry and again taste like a$$.
    Last piece of advice is to not Smoke it is bad for you.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

" Life is too short to smoke cheep Cigars" :D

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, we definitely have some tabocconists around here. I just don't like the hard bitter that most of the cigars I have tried have. Y'all probably right though. My craving for one always happens at like 9-10PM, though...

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Macanudos are known for being a more mild cigar. I was never that into them myself because when I smoked cigars I liked something a bit more robust in flavor. If you're committed to buying cigars from a drug store you could buy some of the Macanudos that Eckerd drugs normally carries...they're the little ones and I see them consistently at various Eckerd's stores.

OH and a 9 to 10 pm craving for a good cigar is easily solved in these parts as most HEB grocery stores seem to have a fully stocked humidor. This new one down the street from me even has a massive walk-in humidor.

brad cook

13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    If you HAVE to smoke cheapies I'd suggest Henry Clay. It fits your description, but I'm not sure whether you'll find it in Walgreens, etc....maybe?

14. MAJOR METAL

15. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Anything at a drug store isn't worth smoking. Go to a local smoke / cigar shop ask them for something mild.

Backarats (hope I spelled that correctly) from Honduras are mild and have a good flavor. They cost around $4.00-$6.00/ea in So. Cal.

After trying a good mild cigar those things at wallgreen will seem like a dog turd wraped in leaves... :spit:

As for anything with some funny lokking dudes dressed in quaker clothes on the package is something to stay away from. Trust Me. ;)

16. MAJOR METAL

Amen Brother , great post :)

17. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    My favorite cigars right now are Acid Blondies. They're a slightly sweet, mellow smoke that doesn't take all day. My problem is that a Churchill length is too damn long, and I ain't got all day to smoke it! The Blondie doesn't have the stronger, acrid taste of a Maduro (dark) wrapper. They are about a twenty to twenty-five minute smoke. They taste great, and are very satisfying. My other favorite is Acid Cold Infusion Tea. Very light, with a hint of tea, it is a longer cigar (very nearly a Churchill in length) that is a great one to sit on the porch with and watch the sun go down (come up?). About a forty-five minute, maybe an hour. Those two are my personal faves, and every single person I have turned on to them has bought 5-6 at a shot. So now it's getting harder to find them, as Drew Estates is getting bogged down with their production.

As far as not liking the acrid taste of some, the acrid taste comes from one of two things- the cigar is too dry, or it is burning too hot. The first can be remedied, but it takes at least a week. Get a small humidor and wipe the inside of the wood with distilled water. Put the dry cigars in, close it, check it daily for humidity. Ideally on a rehydrating course, you should keep at least 85% humidity. 90% is pushing the limits, check daily for mold if you get that humid. The second second is smoking technique- you're trying to smoke it like a cigarette, and knocking off the ash as soon as it forms. The best thing to do is, once lit, "sip" the cigar. Take no more than two or three hits per minute. Allow it to cool slightly between hits. Let the ash build up, a quarter to half an inch is perfect. The ash does two things- it insulates the coal, keeping the fire from gettting too hot, and it gives you the luxury of putting it down for a bit. Talk to someone, carry on the conversation. When you've said your piece, punctuate it with a puff. Put it down, or just hold on to it, your call. After a little bit, you are free to take another puff. Enjoy!

P.S.- normal humidity in a humidor should be kept between 70-80%. I personally prefer to keep mine a little moister. They burn better that way, and taste fresher.

P.P.S.- Don't smoke them in the bedroom- it pisses off the significant other! Outside is best, or in a cigar bar, or even the garage. Just not in tight quarters, OK?

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    First of all, avoid ANYTHING flavored.....i.e., Swishers, Black and Milds, for cheapies, and Acids, Lars Tetens, etc. for overpriced hippie cigars. Some people like them no doubt, but I don't even consider them cigars.

The easist thing I can think of to get CHEAP decent handrolled cigars, is to either go to

www.mikescigars.com and order some "Old Fashioneds"
    The two digit OF's are seconds of Partagas which were rejected for a bad wrap, off size, a little short on filler, etc.
    They have a nice camaroon wrapper and are mild/medium.
    The three digit OF's are seconds of Macanudo. These are extremely mild, too mild for me, but they are certainly decent.

Option two, go to www.jrcigars.com and order whatever size you would like in a JR Alt. These are again cheap, and are "copies" of well known more expensive cigars. They are usually pretty well constructed, and fairly good cigars for low dollar.

19. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Do you guys get a buzz off cigars or just enjoy the flavor?

20. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Thanks, makes perfect sense. Kind of like when I used to clean my roor every day for herb and get snacks, juice, ashtray, phone ready on the coffee table in front of the TV evry night to really enjoy the experience. Very ritualistic indeed smash, I might look into it to replace not drinking and smoking anymore :meh: do cigars count as smoking??