1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone know something about oven control panels?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ()smoke(), Mar 18, 2010.

1. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    2-month old maytag wall oven, a faint but clearly audible buzz started coming from the control panel this evening

I've flipped the breaker off then back, no change, and now I've flipped it off, going to try overnight and check in the morning.. anyone have an idea?

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    No idea what your issue could be, but my step-mother-in-law's fried itself, it took about 2 months to get the wrong part in then another 2 months which consisted of two more visits including another wrong part and someone who couldn't put the thing together. Or something like that. It was a long saga. Good luck. /unhelpful commentary.

3. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    The first thing that comes to mind is the clean lock latch solenoid, but if you took power off the oven it would have stopped. Are you sure you are flipping the correct breaker?

As far as I know there is nothing in the oven that would make any noise with the power removed. I would check to see if it was something else near the oven.

4. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    The only thing I think of that could be buzzing without current is a mechanical timer (think toaster). Is this oven's timer electronic?

Otherwise, you may have a loose part that vibrates with the refrigerator.

5. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    All I can really add is that...

Anyone with a moniker of ()smoke() that is having oven problems should DEFINITELY call the oven professionals!

Just sayin'... :)

6. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    LOL I thought the same thing. :D

LA had a good thought with the clock. I 'assumed' all ovens had digital clockes these days.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If it's two months old it's under warranty. Call Maytag.

We recently had our oven control panel replaced and the repair man advised us to never use the "self-clean" function. Apparently the self-cleaning function tends to fry the control panel, and is really bad for the oven in general.

8. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    i think that may be exactly it--the noise has stopped when i turned the breaker back on this morning, but i did start the self-clean yesterday before the noise started, only to stop it after just few minutes, i was just making sure it would work...i realize that the buzzing started right after i stopped the self-clean cycle

--regarding the power, when i said i turned the breaker off then back, i meant off then back on, with no change when it kicked back on--until this morning that is

i'll probably call maytag anyway, don't know if i can replicate it, but might be good to get a new board put in now rather than chance paying for it later

9. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    :D

that does kind of set the stage for some kind of story here, doesn't it?

10. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    Go to repairclinic.com - you will find the answers you need there.

With their help I fixed my washer, dryer, dishwasher and fridge. Probably saved a couple of thousand doing it myself.

11. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Within a year of your purchase, manufacturers are responsible for manufacturing defects. It would be a worthwile investment to ask the retailer or service center about this.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020