1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone know the scale length of the older Yamaha TRB5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by YCBass, Sep 10, 2008.

1. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    The one with the sculpted lower bout area under the G string, and not the TRB5II with a flat body top which I know are 35".

I'm really hoping it's 35".

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. A friend of mine had a TRB-5f(fretless)that I believe was 35".

3. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Cool, ya I am after a fretless model myself...

Anyone have the bass and know for sure?

Thanks again.

4. Sorry to yet again not definitively answer your question, but I will say that my friend's TRB-5f had(IM-&-several-others'-O)the absolutely worst tone imaginable. The preamp seemed to weed out anything even approaching the magical fretless *mwah*. Maybe it was a lemon but I've heard that about the earlier fretless TRBs. A preamp swap could only improve things, I'm thinking. Just something to perhaps be aware of.

5. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I had an older older TRB (-6P) that was 34". That was pre-cutout-below-the-hi-string, though (it was neck-thru also). There were a lot of changes for the series you're looking for, one of which may have been scale length. Doesn't really answer the OQ (except to inform that the series did in fact start out at 34").

Strange, I have a fretless 5-string from that approximate era (BB5000AF), same pickups as I've seen on some TRB 5s and it sounds absolutely great. Could be a different pre for the BB, who knows? The old TRB-6P was kind of mellow and I have a feeling it would have made a lousy fretless.

6. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Thanks for the replies, the uncertainty was enough for me to get cold feet and let the bass slip away on the bay - could've gotten it for below my max too.

Ya, I'll probably regret this one... Oh well.