Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know were to get a old ampeg speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Mar 10, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hello i just bought a ampeg portaflex! It doesnt have the original speaker in it so id like to replace it! Id like to go all original but if i cant does anyone have any ideas on what i should pop in there? What about a new ampeg speaker because i see they are making the potaflex again just didnt know if they were as good or not?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I had the same situation with a Portaflex B-15 that I had a couple of years ago. It was given to me and was missing a couple of parts, including having a Peavey replacement speaker in it. I had fun for a while tracking down replacment latches, dollies, etc. to restore it to original condition, but the speaker was the last thing I worried about. It sounded fine, but I really wanted it to be "all-original", yknow. After much searching, I found one of the original Ampeg/CTS 15" on Ebay, bought it and had it reconed. Guess what? It didn't sound as good as the Peavey Scorpion replacement that was there to begin with. Later, I stuck a friend's JBL in there and it was even better. I'd say that if you are planning to keep the amp and use it, find a better quality speaker than the CTS or Jensen that came in them originally. If you plan to sell it, get an original...the amp is worth more with the lesser quality speaker. Go figure....

3. Here's a place to get a JBL D140F or an Altec 421 (my current speaker with my B25-B amp), which would probably sound real good, although not stock. I think you may have been able to get an Altec as an upgrade on the B15 when it was new?

http://www.jamminjersey.com/speakers.htm

Chris

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Jeez, if I thought for a moment anyone might have wanted the thing I'da kept the one outta my last B-15.
    Sorry.

5. you might want to check EBAY.com

for some reason there are a ton of Ampeg speakers on there tonight.

don't know if they are the ones you are looking for but its worth the clicks.:D

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Thanks all! I will go looking! Man i cant wait to get this puppy going!