Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know what effects Nick Oliveri (QOTSA) uses?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Jun 10, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've been listening to a bunch of Queens of the Stone Age the past couple days. Nick has some really excellent bass tones, and i was wondering if anyone knows what effects he uses.

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    he probably sticks to fuzz pedals, check out their other project "the eagles of death metal" and you'll see what i mean. Im really pissed off they kicked him out. you know how much u need to **** up before u get kicked out of a stoner band for being "out of control?"

3. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Hes got a real nice fuzz tone on the beginning of "gonna leave you" (I think, track 9) off Songs for the Deaf.

4. yea, man! it's sex, DRUGS, and rock and roll. Wish J.H. knew the order in which to rawk out.

5. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Well apparently Nick was wasted on stage in spain and started hurdling bottles into the crowd!!I bet he'll rejoin someday!

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Didn't he just use P-Basses and overdriven SVTs?

7. in a recent issue of bass guitar magazine he says he only uses a volume pedal and he wires his pickups straight to the jack bypassing the volume and tone controls.

8. don't matter a bean what the other band members do or don't do if the main creative force behind the band is also a bit of a control freak!

maybe JH was trying to get away from the days of Kyuss and Desert Sessions stoner styles and trying to claw back some "marketing credibility"?

who knows, a pity 'cause Nick is/was a loose cannon, more bands need loose cannons who don't take much shizen, even from themselves!

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    he was one of the best parts of their live show... u should see him dole out "you think i ain't worth sh** but i feel like a millionaire" dude was one of the most interesting bass players i've ever seen.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I get that tone dead on with my Sansamp RBI or a cranked SVT.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I can't believe I"m the first to comment on this... not only was Nick not in Eagles of Death metal, they didn't have a bassist at all.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Also, maybe I'm alone, but I'm totally with Josh Homme on this one, lets put it this way, if it was a GUITARIST who was too wasted to play right, and a GUITARIST who threw beer bottles into audiences, and a GUITARIST who was acting like a jerk... would you side with the GUITARIST?

13. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    thats true

14. Yep, if they contributed to the raw energy of the band.

And it depends on how the person behaves outside of live/touring events. Myself, I love chaotic behaviour from bandmates (within reason) but kinda expect a level of discipline when it comes to, say, recording.

Maybe for JH it was like living on the road with a pair of pubescent schoolboys, and just became too much. One can only party for so long I guess!

15. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I've been a huge fan from the "Blues For The Red Sun" record. Nick not only was the much needed "loose cannon" but he's a damn fine bass player too. His lines actually groove & breathe. Have you seen QOTSA on this recent tour w/o Nick?! BORING! Like a metronome - no swing whatsoever.
    The new record sucks too...

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I definatly liked Queens better with Nick... I liked Kyuss better with Scott Reeder... but regardless, I wouldn't deal with Nick's **** either. Why does a band need a loose cannon? And for that matter, why do I see so many "Gig Stories" or whatever where they are like, "My drummer ruined our gig" or "The lead guitarist screwed everything up."

17. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    what settings on the sansamp?...if you dont mind me asking :D

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think it was something like this:

Gain: just a hair short of max
    Blend: just a hair short of max
    Presence: 10:00'ish
    Bass: 1:00'ish
    Middle: max
    Trebble: 10:30'ish

Jazz bass with used but not dead nickle wound strings, both pickups max, and tone rolled back a bit.

Its been a while since Ive tried to copy that tone, but I think thats how I did it.

19. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/AreonStoner?fref=ts
    Anyone know what pickup does he use?

20. he's a better fit sticking with the Dwarves..IMO