Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone know what i'm talking about

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i have very little experience with different kinds of basses. i have a 1998 stingray and a new MIA jazz. when comparing the two i have realized two things that bug me.

1. the g string on the stingray is weak

2. this is hard to explain. other strings on my stingray besides the one i'm playing on seem to resonate sometimes. if i'm slapping an open D my A might start to make noise. or if i'm slapping really fast using a lot of open strings it just gets really sloppy sounding. on my fender the only string making noise is the one i just touced.

?????????understand??????????????

i do love my stingray and i hope she doesn't see this.

2. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    anyone?

3. RE: #1 - Try loosening the screw at the bottom of the pickup (nearest the control knobs), this will raise the pickup closer to the G and D strings, which increases the potential for the magnets to sense the vibration of the string. There should be a volume increase when you do this. Remember not to raise the pickup too far that the string actually hits it, but you should be able to raise it somewhat. Also, your action might be too high on the G and you could probably lower that string saddle on the bridge.

#2 - The reason for the cross-talk between strings is because of the high-output humbucker of the Stingray. They have huge magnets, and I'm not sure if yours is active, but that could have something to do with it. These pickups are much more sensitive to the smaller-poled, passive Jazz single-coils. The big and hyper-sensitive Stingray pickup picks up even the smallest vibrations...but that is a good thing. The wider diameter magnet poles also tend to be big enough to pickup the other neighboring strings. It's the nature of that beast. Most high-quality basses with active pickups will produce some string sounds even if a slight breeze hits open strings. Just get used to muting the open and unplayed strings with your left hand or...um...improve your slap technique so you're not glancing off the A inadvertantly with your thumbnail or anything.

4. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    that's probably it

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    that makes sense.

my slapping technique is pretty good. it only happens when i have to play alot of open strings fast.

6. Have you seen Victor Wooten using one of those hair scrunchies? Now you know why.

7. For what it's worth, I've really started to shy away from slapping open strings because of that reason. The strings just start flopping around too much. I'll generally just move up the the 5th fret and whack away.

ps. I didn't mean for the last sentence of my other post to come across so sarcastic...

Victor Wooten used to wrap hair scrunchies (like slutty chicks wear to keep their hair out of their mouths) right over the nut to try to eliminate the vibration from one string affecting other strings. Here

8. Beat me by 3 seconds, oddio.

9. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    that's funny because i was about to say that a perfect example of when my strings go nuts is when i play classical thump by vic (just the little intro part and the first change...i wish i could play the rest....that guy is a sick freak).

10. Im currently working on that song and I have to agree with you that man is a freak. I want to see him live so bad !