Anyone know what is Kim stone of Rippington using ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by j3b3r, Feb 9, 2001.

1. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I just heard rippingtons CD
    and found out that Kim Stone sounds very good
    just wanna know how to make that kind of sounds
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

This info. is a few years old, so, take that into consideration and the fact that an artist of his stature has access to all kinds of gear.

Roscoe SKB-3006 6-strings, fretted w/maple fretboard, & fretless w/Brazilian ebony fretboard , 35" scale neck, Bartolini humbuckers, bridge mounted Gotoh piezo pickup, and a Jim Williams Audio Upgrades preamp.

D'Addario XLS steeel roundwounds (.028-.120)

His backups include a Yamaha TRB5 and a Pedulla PentaBuzz fretless 5 string.

Amp is/was Eden VT-400-watt head and 2 Eden D-210T 2x10 cabs.

Effects include a T.C. Electronics chorus/flanger, Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal, Ernie Ball volume pedal, and he occasionally uses a brass finger slide.

Cables are Monster cables.

Whew!!! It must take a couple of hours to set him up!

Obviously, I was reading an old Bass Player this morning.
  3. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Hey Rick thanks alot :)

anyway, I guess he use/d reverb or delay effects
    do you know the brand ??
  4. rickbass

No problem. I'll probably need your help in due time.

Nothing was mentioned about delay/reverb. That is something that could be added in the studio. I think the article was just mentioning his live set up.

By the way, in which country are located? I am actually awake at this hour (4:51am) in the central US because that's typical after a Friday night gig.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 02-10-2001 at 04:55 AM]
  5. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    hehehe :)

I'm in Indonesia, south east asia

anyway, what are you doing waking up early in the morning ?

Friday night gig ?? what effects do u use on stage ??

6. rickbass

I wasn't waking up. I was coming home. Not all that unusual.

Indonesia?!?! :cool: One of my dream vacations.

Effects? For my usual R&B/rock club gigs I normally don't use any unless something in the current set list makes some absolutely necessary. For the occasional rave gig, I borrow an "associate's" DigiTech BP8 and I loan him my BBE Sonic Maximizer when he needs it. Oh, and the edge of an adjustable wrench I always used to keep in my case for years. One day I just took it to my roundwounds with the treble cranked on the bass and faced my amp at high volume. It sounds like bloody murder!!! I sometimes use it for crescendo endings on rock tunes. A former guitarist dubbed it, "The Train Wreck."

That BP8 plus the keyboardist's Yamaha Workstation and some Fairchild samples send some people to the psycho ward ;)

[Edited by rickbass1 on 02-10-2001 at 03:25 PM]
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I saw him in concert last year, and he was playing the Roscoe basses through a Walter Woods head with EA cabs. I think the cabs had three tens, and maybe two eights.
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Can't add any more to the technical parts of this discussion, but I'll just say that I saw The Rippingtons play a few years ago in West Palm Beach. After the concert, I got up my courage and asked Kim how he could slap a six string bass. He was as nice a person as you could ever want to meet. He seemed genuinely flattered that anyone would ask about his technique and that a woman, of all things, would appreciate the challenges in slapping a six-string. I told him what a beautiful bass he had and he told me he was very pleased with it. I went away really liking the man, not only for his exceptional talent, but for his pleasant personality.

jason oldsted