Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone know what kinda of pickup i could use for a sitar?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Guinea Pig, Aug 10, 2005.

1. im sorry this isn't bass related at all, but considering i am a bassist and i have no idea where else to ask this question i figured i could post it here. I was thinking i could attach like an upright bass pickup or a violin pickup to the sitar, i looked at what gabby la la (man is she awesome im so glad les is working with her) uses on hers it looks similar to a violin or double bass pickup but im not sure. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Yes, that is a Piezo pickup...contact a music shoppe about piezo pickups for an acoustic guitar and they'll set you up...you will also need a suitable preamp...

that oughtta suit a sitar just fine...

3. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    It has to be a form of a piezo pickup. I believe here are ones made specifically for the sitar. I recall coming across the "blue dot" (I think) pickup for sitars. Check google for it.

4. Try Bob Gollihur's website- he has piezo pickups for 'general' use(as well as lots of info, which he is very generous with), although there must be something ideal for sitar.

5. thank you all for the suggestions, i knew they were piezo's i just didn't know which ones would be qualified for a sitar. Thank you for the help, being able to amplify my sitar and maybe add some effects will be quite the journey for me in the studio :hyper: if any of you enjoy the sound of a sitar i suggest you check out some of bill laswell's dubs that he did with indian music and deffinately gabby la la's new cd with les claypool, john mclaughlin's Shakti and of corse Ravi Shankar.