Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know what this bass is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deepestend, Jan 24, 2006.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    It's an ibanez that someone is selling locally... any clue what model?

Attached Files:

2. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Ibanez lawsuit Tele, probably 235 series

[​IMG]

3. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Any idea what it's worth?

4. Magus, I don't doubt that your guess is correct but I've got to wonder about that headstock. It's so hard to tell it's exact shape. At first glance it isn't too Tele like. And then I see some greenish haziness (on my monitor) that looks almost like residue from shopping.

It certainly bears examination in person.

And then you post that pic right as I'm writing this!

5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Sorry Hambone !

Yeah i know what you mean about the headstock. The photo is not that good, and its difficult to see the wavy bottom routing of the classic Tele - but everything else tallies up. The pup, pickguard, bridge, body shape - ok only one thumb rest but they often go missing or maybe its even a slightly different model 235.

Deep might be able to fill us in on the headstock shape ?

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Dont know about worth - although if it hasnt got a serial number its probably pre '75. All things being equal with no owner messing or non original bits fitted, i would say collectors piece.

7. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I actually don't know yet... haven't seen it in person. Someone on the local craigs list had a very vague ad about a bass they'd bought in Australia... that's what they sent me. For $100, I may have to check it out.

8. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    If its only $100 - chew his arm off

9. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    okay, waiting to hear back... I just bought a bass, so this may be something I buy and sell. Who knows, though? My research shows that it's a hollow body... might sound pretty sweet.

10. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Really ? In that case, might sound a tad 'boomy ' . Still, 100 of your alien " bucks " is still a snip. If its genuine

11. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    Wow, that is very nice, I would buy it for 100 buckaroos, even if its absolute crap, still makes a nice wall ornament.

12. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I think that if it's decent I'll go for it... I can always flip it if I need to.

13. Honestly, it looks like someone didnt like the Tele headstock shape, and took it upon themselves to reshape it.

-ryan-

14. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    My uncle played in a Shadows`-band in the 60`s/70`s, and he used to own one of those. I remember him saying his was a 76-model, but he sold it so he can`t remember, although he regrets selling it now `cause of the nice sound.