Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone know what this strip is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Apr 30, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    what is this thing? is it a split in the finish? it looks like somthing metal or metallic. what can it be?

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I think that's a grounding wire. I'm not 100% on that-i thought that the old fenders [jazz basses] had those. Thought saw one on a Jaco Bass [relic, tribute-one of em]. I could be wrong though. THats all

3. Looks exactly like a grounding wire to me. Many basses have a hole drilled from the control cavity back to under the bridge for the grounding wire. Either this instrument had no hole, or somebody disn't want to run a wire thru the hole and resolder it....

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    how much trouble would it be to dril for the grounding wire?

5. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Its a vintage grounding wire, man that adds class...i say leave it that way

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    alrighty, its gonna be left alone then.

7. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have a 1994 fretless mij jazz bass, that has that
    ground strap. I think fender was putting that on some type of re-issue bass.I have no idea why the 1994 fretless has it, but it makes it look cool.:)

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Back when Jazzes came with bridge/pickup covers, the ground wire was run exposed on the body surface since it wouldn't be seen anyway, rather than spend an extra $.10 to drill a hole and bury it in the body.

So, nowadays an ugly exposed wire is considered "cool" because it's so "vintage."

:rolleyes:

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Noooo!! Dont do it!!

10. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    It's copper, Just polish it with a little metal polish - very retro!

11. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    As Peter said, I think it's pretty silly that musicians are so into things being "vintage". Old stuff can be cool, but a lot of it is just sought-after because it's old. If a bass came out these days with a ground wire visible, you guys would surely attack Fender for such shoddy workmanship.

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Or any other company, for that matter. Even on a Hondo II this would be considered a fault.

13. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well if/when i buy it im gonna leave it. i think it kicks lots of ass.