Anyone know what to do about my job?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have been working basically as an independent contractor for a company that owns and operates trailer parks. They have been late on paychecks, and not paying the right amounts almost the whole time. I can't even find a listing with information to get the company's phone number. I have an address on my pay stubs that I actually recieved. What should I do?
  2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    To be honest, I'd just quit and cut my losses. It sounds like they owe you money, but it's probably not enough to go through the hassle and expense of retaining a lawyer and suing them for it. :meh:
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    They owe me well over 1500 dollars.
  4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

In that case - I'd hire this guy:

5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I love it. :D

Well, I am getting a bit purturbed about it, because, as I said, I can't really even pay my rent now. My sister works in a law office, so I think I will ask her if she can ask around. This really could ruin my credit as well, becuase I am going to have a hard time making any other payments besides rent. I really need a new job. Anyone need a maintenance guy??
  6. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Take it up with better business and maybe talk to a lawyer. There's also Judge Joe Brown.
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Get out there and look for a new job immediately.

In the interim, put an ad in the paper offering small
    jobs, most contractors won't take anything small
    and people hava a tough time finding people to do stuff.

I did this out of college, when unemployment was
    13% in my state, and I made a living and paid my
    bills. And you are in control of your own destiny.

Good luck.

PS. Since you never had taxes taken out, you will be
    on the hook for that too...
  8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    In some states an independent contractor has some of the same legal rights as an employee if he or she is essentially a quasi-employee--that is, the employer can dictate when and how the contractor works, among other things.

If you qualify, you would fall under the protection of certain labor laws in your state. Most, if not all, states have very strict laws against failing to pay employees in a timely manner.

Start protecting yourself now. Consult a lawyer who specializes in labor and employment law; many will provide a free initial consultation. Illinois might also have a hot line or some service for handling employment and labor abuse situations.

And look for other work.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    In Australia we have a specific criteria for debt collection that doesn't require a lawer. It's basically sending a set of progressively nasty letters and setting deadlines for action. It usually works for me. But in a worst case scenario, there are debt collection agencies that are much cheaper than lawers. I don't know how they get my money and to be honest I don't care if they send some big guys to scare them into paying - if I've felt the need to call them in, the debt is well and truley overdue. I've only ever used them once. Usually the letters are enough.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Make some cards and flyers and start promoting yourself. It appears as though you have your own car/tools/smarts, so widen out. Every building needs maintenance done. That should get some money coming in right away.

As far as the folks that aren't paying you.....arrange to meet them on site somewhere telling them you have a "serious problem", and when they arrive you can settle your $$ dispute. Not in a hostile way, but be prepared with invoices, and an exact amount they owe you. Be professional. They'll prolly just kick you to the curb if you try the "I'm not going to finish this repair job until I get paid", so you'll have to be very diplomatic. Maybe even mention your options for collecting the money, and that you prefer not to escalate it to those levels. Explain that you are a businessman just as they are.

Whatever you do, put everything in writing. If it turns into a "he said, she said" deal, that will get you nowhere. It would be like two monkeys flinging poo at each other in a cage.

11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, I've got the boss man here onto it. But they did basically say that the work day starts at 8, so they did really dictate when I came in. So, I think if I have to go to the wage and labor bereau, they'll get on it pretty quick. Another contractor and I have both been shorted, so we are both going to confront these people. And if they don't pay, then I will take the case to wage and labor, and I will be getting a lot more money than what they owed me.