anyone know what type of Ibanez BTB this is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zapp, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    I guess this is a serial number of a BTB bass -wz40042
    I put it into a lookup field on a volunteer site and all it renders is made in Korea, 2004, but which model? exasperating...

2. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    Picture?

FYI if you were using the guitar dater project, it says on the website they don’t list model numbers.

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the
    World Plant, Korea
    on December, 2004
    Production Number: 42

3. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    The Ibanez tech shop was kind enough to respond but said they didn't really have a way to determine models prior to 2008. [what you said basically] Below is the unit - I assume but could be wrong that if the PUPS don't have the Nordstrand or Bart signature on the cover then it must be the inhouse pups. beyond that I dunno except that it is bolt-on not through-body. While we're on it: do all the BTB's from high end to low have the same neck profile in 5String ? and scale? The one I played that belongs to a bass-buddy seems to be the same model as the one here except for color, and I believe it is a 36" scale. I haven't seen evidence of 35" 5-string in the BTB's

Attached Files:

4. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    WP_20170326_002.jpg Looks just like my BTB405, the left one, and I'm pretty sure it's a 35" scale

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  5. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    My now-sold BTB400QM was exactly like that, but in 4-strings and swirl black.

6. Spectre1966

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    Yup...thats a BTB405QM....I have the same exact bass.

7. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    It's a 35" scale.

8. It looks like a BTB405QM. I had one about 14 years ago. Kept it for a few years. It's definitely 35" scale. Check the 2002 catalogue, they appear in there.

9. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    many thanks guys. are the PUPS Ibanez? one 'defect' I noticed on the 5 string one I played for an hour or so is the treble string [5th] was faint - not in balance gain-wise with the others. I didn't take time to look at the pickups to see if there was an issue of too much clearance from the string. sure liked the neck profile

10. Yes, as per typical Ibanez, unless it says otherwise it's in-house electronics. That said, I was always impressed with the tone of my BTB405QM. The dual band mid control meant you could really mix up the sound. Perfect for adding 'oomph' in a live setting without having to touch the bass control.

11. Spectre1966

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    The pickups should say either ibanez or bartoloni on them. I did have to adjust string height on mine to compensate for the tone (strings still a bit high for my taste) but it has a lot of punch and flexibility.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    405QM. I played a gazillion gigs with one. The mid frequency and level stack knob will make that bass kick like a mule.

By the way, individually we are all dipsticks. Collectively, we know every dang thing. Next time skip the drama and just ask here first. :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    BurnOut likes this.
  13. Spectre1966

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    Agreed. You won't find a better and more knowledgeable group of people than here on TB.

14. Bassmanbiker

Bassmanbiker

Sep 29, 2005
    BTB405 35" scale!

BurnOut likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021