Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know when the Standing in the Shadows of Motown DVD is out in the UK?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by parrott, May 18, 2003.

1. I know it's not out yet, and I can't get a release date from anywhere.

Anyone?

2. Parrott, I just picked up a copy on Friday, so I guess it'll be out on your side of the pond soon, if it isn't out already. I missed it when it was in theaters, but, all I can say is: WHAT A MOVIE!!! :eek:

I didn't know half of what was really going on at Motown, who played on what song, and how these guys faded into obscurity by the 80s.

Get a copy at your first chance! I went out Sunday and bought the soundtrack!

The funniest thing in there was: One night some guy held up James Jamerson and Dennis Coffey at gunpoint as they left the studio, then James tracked the guy down, and pulled his own gun and got the two wallets back, and then took the thief's wallet to boot! He robbed the robber!

I watched it 3 times in 3 days.

Mike

3. Need to know this too!

Thanks for rubbing it in Mike :p Just cuz YOU'VE seen it :D

4. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I got a copy from here last week. Ordered on Tuesday arrived thursday, watched by friday...

http://www.playserver5.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R1&title=114907

Its a region 1 so you need a multi region player but at £18 your not going to find much cheaper or quicker.

Its the two disk special, extra features a plenty etc etc version

5. Tried ebay or amazon?

:)

6. My mum got a multi-region DVD player at the weekend, so all I need to do now is scrape up some money and go order it from the 'net.

:)

7. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    You can watch it at the Filmhouse Edinburgh- just saw it last night- amazin.....

8. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    I watched it today... I"m watching the bonus now... It's pretty awesome... I figure... I'm gonna go buy it... I rented it from blockbuster.. and play it... stop... rewind... play it.. stop rewind... until I know how to play everything on it :) LOL Then I'll be an accomplished musician :)

Take care guys :)

Dana

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this! All the reviews that I've read in the UK press have been glowing. I haven't seen it listed at any of my local cinemas yet. I can't imagine that it will be too long before it gets a UK DVD release.

You can keep updated on the UK release of SITSOM at www.standingintheshadowsofmotown.co.uk

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dave-
    You should have an advantage over yer mates 'cause you have actually heard "Scorpio".
    ;)

(There's a scene where Babbitt & that particular tune are discussed).

11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Finally came out on Monday (26th), AT LAST!

My copy came today - I've watched it once and really enjoyed it! Great to hear these old musicians' stories.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmmm, I just checked my copy of the DVD to see if it had any information, but I couldn't find anything. Truth is though, someplaces are hard to read because of the autographs from all the Funk Brothers.

:D

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yutz...

...I live for this stuff, 'Bo!
    ;)

14. a heads-up for the UK'ers-

SITSOM is showing on BBC4 this saturday at 9pm.

actually, the whole evening on BBC4 seems to be a soul special.

ah, I love my Freeview box :smug: