Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone know where i could find a 900 or below warwick thumb bass (5)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGrowl, Aug 2, 2001.

1. BassGrowl

BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    I played this AWESOME warwick thumb bass the other day after this concert that i went to (thanx to Big Mike from Gazingstock). That is a GREAT bass. He also a perfect G&L fretless, but back to what i was geting to say, where can i get one of these for a good price, my prefered is 900 or below. PLEASE HELP ME OUT, ILL DO ANYTHING!!!!

2. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    A Warwick 5-String Thumb for $900 or under? Good luck is all I can say ;)

A quick look at ebay, all of them were priced at over $1,200 (the ones with reserves are most likely around there, too)

3. BassGrowl

BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    i found one for a little over 900

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The greatest thing about my TBO is the mid-range growl.

The 2nd greatest thing is the Wenge neck. It's like a baseball bat. I'd shy away from newer bolt-ons with the Ovangkol neck. Too many reported problems. If you don't know the difference, the Wenge is dark open porous wood that is the same wood on the fretboard. Look at the back of the headstock for a date prior to '97.

Don't get tricked into getting a newer (and IMHO lower quality) Thumb based on trying out a sweet neck through or a Wenge TBO. You may be sorry. $900 is a good price though over all even for an Ovangkol TBO 5'er. You could do much worse.

5. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Ya, i was just gonna say ebay too, i havent checked out their stuff recently. Not unless you got a real good hookup at a local shop that would get used warwicks. I ran out of ideas.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    hmmm. does that mean my Thumb bolt on (a '97) is junk? I couldn't tell you what kind of wood the neck is made of, it's dark brown. but I love the way it plays and sounds. I've had it 4 years and haven't noticed any problems. Maybe I don't know what problems to look for....

Oh well I guess ignorance is bliss 'cause I love my '97 Thumb bolt on.

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    No no no!!! I wouldn't mention Warwick and Junk in the same thread. If you can get at TBO 5 for under $1k you should go for it, even with Ovangkol neck. I'd think yours is Wenge though. Mine is also '97 with Wenge. Wenge is a darker brown and it's a solid piece (back of neck matching the fingerboard wood). The Ovnagkol is much lighter wood and has a closed grain. The Wenge is open.

Wenge is by far much more solid than ovangkol. It is also heavier. It is better at staying true. Ovangkol is not a strong, but much lighter (better balance - no more neck-dives).

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like Gazingstock. They are cool.

9. I saw a Thumb fretless five go for $700, I think, yesterday on ebay. It was a bolt on, I believe.

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah i've seen plenty of thumb bolt on's go for under $1k.

and it seems like the ovangkol necks started around 99....i too would try to get a wenge neck if you have a choice.

jason

11. I'll put my vote in for the Wenge neck.
    Something about having the neck wood being the same as the fretboard. Besides it's super strong and bullet proof. Great tone too!

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The neck wood and finger board on mine are pretty close in color and appearance but it's not a solid piece of wood. The finger board is definately a separate piece of wood(cap) on mine. So do the solid wenge necks have a skunk strip for the truss rod or is it a wenge fingerboard cap on a wenge neck? That is possibly what I have.