Anyone know where I could pick up some Tru-oil in the San Jose area (95118)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GRoast, Oct 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GRoast

GRoast Supporting Member

May 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Anyone know where I could pick up some Tru-oil in the San Jose, CA area (95118).

Apparently it's hard to ship drying oils into California, I'd rather just go buy it anyway, I only need like a 3 oz bottle.

Thanks, Andy

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Gun store or outdoors store, like Cabela's.

It's actually illegal in Canada and several other countries but it must be legal in California since EBMM uses it.

ELG60 likes this.
  3. Illegal for sale in California. Try Amazon.

P A U L and guitarflinger like this.
  4. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    Do you have a Woodcraft store in your area? I believe that is where I last bought it, although it has been a few years.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  5. GRoast

GRoast Supporting Member

May 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Yes, I placed an order, but it says it'll take until Mid November...?? I assume for compliance reasons, so I'm just looking for a local source. I bought it before when I was in Pacifica, but I can't remember where I bought it...Maybe law changed in last ten years.

6. GRoast

GRoast Supporting Member

May 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Good Call!

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Bass Pro Shops
    Just re-did the back of my bass neck.
    Came out great.

8. GRoast

GRoast Supporting Member

May 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for all your responses, I found some and I'm back to re-finishing a project!

9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Do tell, where did you find it?
    I had to order it from an outdoor outfitter on the 'Web.

10. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Academy sports, Cabela's, Bass Pro, Woodcraft, Rockler.

If you can't find any at those stores, you can make a pretty good alternative by mixing Boiled Linseed Oil with wipe-on polyurethane in equal measures.

11. DiabolusInMusic

Does EBMM import it then? Any idea on the legalities of that? Or have they switched to another, less toxic, option?

Anybody know exactly what is in it that makes it so dangerous anyways?

12. GRoast

GRoast Supporting Member

May 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I got it at Woodcraft per DC upright. I contacted Birchwood Casey and they can't sell into California anymore. My Amazon order is pending, but I'm gonna cancel it...My thought is they will send me an e-mail saying they can't send it anyway.

I would have used a "california" alternative had I not already started with the true oil I had.

Thanks, Andy

13. GRoast

GRoast Supporting Member

May 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Just know that due to "High VOC's" it's illegal in California as of 2 years ago. People use tung oil I know in lieu of tru oil.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  14. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Sheesh. So very glad I'm not a Californian...

Lesfunk likes this.
  15. I'm a Californian. I've used Tru-Oil on four builds now, with plans to use it again on more than a few in the future. I order from Amazon (Prime) and it shows up within a few days. to be fair, like most of my supplies I order the stuff before I need it , so I don't really notice delays.

The worst part about being a Californian is learning to live with my own smug self righteousness. You get used to it pretty fast though.

ctmullins likes this.
  16. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    As Finn I'm glad I don't live in California. Every single thing that can be bought in this world seems to be somehow lethal or at least extremely dangerous to human beings in California. At least that's what is written on the instructions. I don't know if Californians are a different human species or what but I haven't died or mutated into something scary after using some of these dangerous and toxic products that are not found anyway dangerous in other parts of the world.

ctmullins likes this.
  17. DiabolusInMusic

Can you get Tru Oil in Finland? It's not like California is the only place that has recognized the dangers of it, it's illegal in several countries around the world... I am kind of surprised that people would rather ignore the advice of doctors and use a harmful chemical even when they're are several other safe alternatives.

TrustRod likes this.
  18. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    If people only did what their doctors said was safe, the world would be a very boring place indeed.

19. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Huh? I just finished reading the MSDS for Tru-Oil. Here's a link to it. I don't see the big deal.

Basically, you'll be fine if you:
    - don't drink it
    - don't bathe in it
    - don't pour it in your eyes
    - don't sniff huge quantities of it
    - don't set it on fire

Discernment is paramount. Understand the reasons and motivations behind the prohibitions - it's easier to outright ban something than to acknowledge that its use requires a modicum of personal responsibility.

20. DiabolusInMusic

If there was no other alternative I would completely agree with you but there are multiple options that are equally as good as Tru-Oil. I just do not see the point of clinging to it as an end user. The folks at B&C having invested R&D and trademark dollars, I can see why they want to keep producing it.

Mind you, I haven't bought Tung Oil in California... it may also come with a cancer warning and I would really have my foot in my mouth...

ctmullins likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022