1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone know where to find a good Luthier in Souther Louisiana?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SpankyPants, Feb 28, 2008.

1. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I acknowledge that this probably isn't the most suitable place for this thread, but I felt this would gain more exposure.

I'm just tired of my crappy guitar tech.

2. Best guy I have ever known for fixing things is right there in Istrouma/Red Stick with you: Tommy Simpson.

He's tough to get ahold of, but worth the effort. The name of the business is Steele String Services, don't know if he's listed. I don't have his business number handy, so let me know if you can't track him down, and I'll call his personal number to get it (don't want to hand out his personal number, for obvious reasons...).

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'd highly recommend my roommate, Scott Morgan. Most honest and detail oriented guy I've ever met. His fret jobs are legendary.

4. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    I'm born and raised in New Orleans.............. Prior to Katrina, Jimmy Foster was The man IMHO.
    If you call Allied loudspeaker, on Bienville, the guys over there should know if he's still at it. He's a Master.

5. pushdrops

pushdrops

Apr 14, 2009
    Can anyone provide Tommy Simpson's contact info?

I've been waiting forever to bring my guitars to someone in the SE La. area and he sounds like he really knows what he's doing and if you can locate him, work can be performed on a pretty timely basis (which is the reason that I won't bring my guitars to two different shops at the moment - they are good but take forever).

Also if anyone can suggest anyone else in the SE La area (I'll bring up Foster since he's in this thread, he's in Covington, La but seems to be more into building hi-end guitars rather than repairs, folks have troubles getting a return email or call when inquiring about him taking on work, so I'd really trust him, he's just to hard to get a hold of)...

I guess there's just a real shortage of really good luthier's in the area. (there's a shop in BR which does really great work <Tommy used to work for them I believe> but at the moment they are just so overloaded, there's a guy in Metairie that's more into violins than guitars but he is said to do well with guitars but he's known to take up to a year for much of his work to be completed).

Thanks so much for any info.

6. pushdrops

pushdrops

Apr 14, 2009
    wow, old Allied, I didn't know they were still in business, they were never much of a guitar / bass shop but back in the 80's they were THE synth dealer in the NOLA area (Dave G. of the Topcats could play and program those DX-7's with the best of them) - I went in there back in the early to mid 90's and the store was just about all but empty... (sad to see Allied, Sound City both in that area go downhill)

7. pushdrops

pushdrops

Apr 14, 2009
    i've got Tommy Simpson's info, also used Ron Pace while in Houston last week - he did a great job (too bad i don't live in Houston) , will try Tommy Simpson next week - if Tommy S. isn't avail, will try Phil Patterson of the Music Corner in Covington, LA (if he's still there, i've only heard of P. Patterson thru someone recently that hasn't seen P. Patterson in years)

8. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Go ahead and shoot my Tommy's info in a PM. :)

9. PizzaSteve

PizzaSteve

Jun 14, 2011
  10. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Where in South LA? I am in Lafayette and know of guys here and Baton Rouge

11. Dan1123

Dan1123

May 5, 2016
    I recently had an old cello restored by Sal. Fantastic work! He exceeded all my expectations and his price is very reasonable. I recommend him highly!

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  13. RostyM

RostyM Supporting Member

May 1, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I've been using Sal Giardina for years, initially at the recommendation of my instructor. I'd recommend him highly. I've always been pleased with his work and pricing.