anyone know where to get a completely animal free/nonleather, combfortable bass guita

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 23, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Being vegan (don't use any animal products in any way, shape or form) I am finding it difficult to find a totally animal free bass guitar strap. Preferably a nice super-duper combfortable one. I have found ones that are hemp, canvass etc but it seems that the pieces that attachs to the strap pins are always leather.

anyone know where to get a completely animal free/nonleather, combfortable bass guitar strap?

BTW, I would appreciate it if people who feel the need to make fun of my ethical choice refrain from doing so. Its happened on other forums.

Thanks! :)
  2. :eyebrow: very good reasons for it to be leather, its durable, resilliant, adn wont stretch as much as fabric. i don't think i've ever seen a strap that didn't have leather ends.
  3. has Planet Waves non-leather straps. Check the Miscellaneous Accessories tab.
  4. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    You know the ones with those little straplock sort of tabs built-in? Aren't those all plastic?

Oh here they are:

The backing might be leather, though I doubt it because they're cheap. Maybe leatherette.

Thing is, and it might be a good option, is to find someone who's a seamstress and have a strap made, then get a few of these straps just for the eyehole sections and have those attached. That way you can get a custom made strap, as wide as you want, padded even, and have these tips put on it.

Might work.
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I came across this link not long ago. They have a vegan hemp guitar strap that might suit you. :hyper:

...and, anyone that makes fun of you for your choices is an idiot. :spit:
  6. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    planet wave makes some cool ones with plastic locking ends instead of leather. and the design on my strap matches my dog's leash. go vegan :)
  7. I'm fairly certain that Kepur (sp?) straps are one piece of synthetic material. They also claim to not need strap locks. They come in a few widths and lengths, and are available through Musicians Friend. I've never tried one, though. Good luck!
  8. Not a vegan myself, but I admire your dedication! Hope you find something that works! (Planet Wave straps looks like the way to go)
  9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I once made a bass strap out of duct tape. Non-adjustable and very sturdy. However, you had better have a well balanced bass since duct tape has no grip. But it is water proof :p
  10. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    ever see the music video for black No1 by type o negative? well teh gutia rplayer wears chain links as a guitar strap,look into it. it would be the msot metal thing to do, it will make up for ur lac k of meat eating...

that wasnt a joke. so dont take it as one :) well yea it was a joke but not against ur ethical choice :)
  11. You could always make your own. I am vegan myself and was always bothered by it, so a friend made me one crazy strap.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    We're better than that. I mean, I'm not; but collectively, I think we as a forum are.
  13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    If God didn't want man to use animal skins, he wouldn't have made them out of leather.

I respect your choice's just that saying please DON'T make fun of it is like putting a steak in front of a hungry dog...ooops....bad choice of about..... it's a Pavlovian reaction.....
  14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002

Anyway, check out the PlanetWaves strap. Shouldn't be too hard to find something without leather.
  15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Unless you're playing a Steinberger (not to be confused with hamburger), you're supporting the murder of trees.

Maybe you could just duct tape the bass to your waiste.
  16. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    DiMarzio has been selling all nylon straps for 20+ years- the ones that permanently attach to the guitar and there's a little plastic buckle at each end, ala Steve Vai. The ClipLock system.
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Or Status.
  18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Comfort Stapp - the best strap I've ever used.

edit - oh, wait - the ends are leather....
  19. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    If he woldn't have said that, I'll bet he would have gotten a couple jabs (sort of did with the chain-link thing.. I like that idea though ..or how about a chainmail strap - chainm..? I don't know how to spell it, but I mean that stuff armored warriors would wear).

I'm sure that there are materials that are superior to skin for straps. I'd imagine it's like what these other guys are saying - nice fiber cloth with some kind of sythethic ends. I don't even think you have to use petroleum for plastic - you can even make plastic all-vegan - out of food oils, right?

20. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    "Nutri-whip" whipping cream is made of edible oils as are other foods. Personally, if its plastic or processed I try to stay away from it. I prefer natural organic whole grains and fruits and vegetables.

Anyways, aside from a few jabs :rolleyes: , I appreciate your suggestions. I think I am going to go with the DiMarzio clicklok strap.