Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know which Sadowsky BassJ. Newstead plays?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sai-Tonn, Apr 29, 2001.

1. Sai-Tonn

Sai-Tonn

Apr 28, 2001
    USA
    Anyone know and how much it is?

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    As far as I know, Jason was playing stock Sadowsky.
    I don't know the exact price, but I think it will be around 2500 and 3000$ US

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Jason has alot of them. I saw them & he changed his bass after every few songs. He has to have @ least 10 all costing over $2500 each.

5. Here are the Sadowsky basses that he plays (taken from encycmet.com)
    Sadowsky - Black Vintage - Ash body
    Sadowsky - Black Vintage (x2)
    Sadowsky - PJ - Cherry Sunburst
    Sadowsky - PJ - Caramel Sunburst
    Sadowsky - Vintage - Lake Placid Blue #1 (4 strings)
    Sadowsky - Vintage - Lake Placid Blue #2 (5 strings)
    Sadowsky - Vintage - Cherry Sunburst
    Sadowsky - Black Vintage - 24 Fret (x2)

As for cost, I can only say it's a little too much for me.

6. I am not wise in the ways of Metallica...but how could anyone use 10 basses in one gig? why?

actually, why would anyone need ten of the same bass? I have gigged with the same bass for the past 2 years. If it's good enough for me, it's good enough for Jason wotsit.

7. Prolly cuz they got the cash to have that many guitars, and for different tunings and sounds for songs or something.

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    In a band that does heavy touring, the instruments are bound to get abused. I remember somewhere here a while back seeing someone post about buying one of Jason's used Sadowsky basses, and that it looked like he11, but had only been on the road for a few months. In a concert setting, where you go from town to town, and expose the bass to all sorts of atmospheric changes (heavy smoke and humidity in the arena), you're likely to see more problems - like broken strings, or slipping tuning, or the occasional broken headstock! You need to be prepared for the worst, and when you ask $35 a ticket, you can't stop to make a change. The roadie's job is to be ready to hand the replacement bass in a second's notice. The show must go on.

9. I spoke with Roger about this a while ago. I think Jason bought over a dozen Sadowky basses.

10. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I heard that he sweats ALOT!!! I remember hearing that he had basses electronics fry on stage!!!!! That's gotta suck!!!!!

I gotta say that Sadowsky's are really really nice basses. I played a few @ his shop & I was in shock for like a week or two. I almost sold a Spector & I sold my L-2500 & a few others. Really awesome bass!!!

11. Bass Heavy is almost right, and may be totally right. I know that Jason used to and I believe still does change the countour of the basses right arm cutaway. He plays his basses at the same height all the time so he has the countour adjusted to where the edge of the bass dosen't put any strain on his arm.

As for Newsted sweating alot there's a few things that haven't been mentioned yet. He does indeed have his pickups and electronics sealed to keep moisture out and has shorted basses out onstage (watch the second tape of "A Year And A Half In The Life Of Metallica" and you'll see a part where he talks about his bass going out during Fade To Black). In addition to that he replaces his saddle adjusting screws every show because they corrode during the course of the show, and he replaces his bridges every 3-4 months due to corrosion.

He's a freakin' hog.

12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    If someone dosen't know what a Sadowsky is, Teach him.

I worked @ Sam Ash for 2 years & have played & owned many Fenders & I've never played or ever will play one that is 1/2 as good as a Sadowsky. I have yet to play a bass I like better. Not to say I hate my Spectors, I just like that damn Sadowsky SOOOO much.

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I hear ya. But in the long run, it should be what you like, (sound, feel, playability) not what will be recognized. IMO.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sadowsky headstocks don't look like Fenders. That's a dead giveaway...details.

15. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    And like the average Joe knows anyway (and no offense meant, but any bass player you'd be concerned with impressing would know the difference).

I live in the land of cheap basses (check out the prices on these babies from Mr. Potato :), made right here in beautiful Songtan - http://www.mr-potato.com/htmls/main.htm - they actually ain't half bad). I showed up to church with my new baby the day I got it, and one of the guitar players said, "Nice bass. You buy it downtown?" I just smiled and said, "yes." :D

16. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    For that kind of $$$, I'd be getting the Sadowsky. For starters, they are MUCH easier to come by than a truly spotless vintage Fender. Second, they are every bit as good (if not better) than those holy grail basses. I probably wouldn't have said this a few years ago, but the vintage prices have gone out of hand, and that's what makes stuff like Sadowsky, Lull, Lakland and the like a real bargain.

17. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    You cannot compare Fender JazzBass to a Sadowsky, Fender is fine but Sadowsky is by far better. I tried to add Fender with Jretro or Moon pre amp, just can't catch a Sadowsky.
    You play Sadowsky in passive mode , yet it produce an excellent sound ,so it is not only the pre amp that matters. I tried passive mode with, Warwick [Dolphin/Thumb etc] or other my high end basses it sound bad. So it is may be right, wood is no 1 important.
    I went to Samick Indonesian factory who produces average 40,000 guitar and basses per month and talk to the production director and he said the same thing, and to his experience of mass produced instrument that out of 100 guitar comes 1 good guitar and out of 1000 guitars come 1 excellent guitar [sonically] because just happened to be excellent piece of wood/neck met with excellent wood/body. In the mass produce instrument you cannot make this selection and matching -too costly.
    To my curiosity I took one the Samick production bass and fitted Bartolini pick up , and to my surprise it sound really bad.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Actually I think you (rhetorically speaking) "can" compare a Fender to a Sadowsky...and the Sadowsky does not always come out on top.

Here is my perpetual problem with "better". What makes something better is largely a personal issue. You have to have some criteria in mind to decide what is "better". Compared to what? Why is it better? I'd bet most people would say a Sadowsky is better than a Fender, again in most cases without ever playing a Sadowsky.

I don't think the idea behind a Fender is to sound like a Sadowsky...I could be wrong. I think the idea behind a Fender is to sound like a Fender. I know people seem to be equally split about the preamp on a MIA JD5. I've also seen people pick one up, crank the bass and treble, cut the mids and then declare it sounds like crap. Duh.

On some gigs my MIA Jazz Deluxe 5 sounds perfect (to me)...what could sound more like a JD5 than a JD5? It doesn't sound like a Sadowsky and lots of people assume that's a bad thing. It's not (for some).

So, j.s., while maybe "you" can't compare one to the other, other people can;)

Sadowsky's are excellent basses. I have a couple of basses that some people consider excellent basses too. Is one better than the other...or just different?

BTW Barts aren't magic. They can't fix everything;)

19. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Speaking of Jason Newstead -

Has anyone heard anything about what he is going to do now that he has left Metallica? The press release said he left because of medical reasons, so is he still playing or is he just retiring with 14 years of touring money and royalties to sit on?

20. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Jason did not only leave because of the medical reasons, I think he was just pissed.

But he has his new project "Echobrain" running and he hopes that the CD will be out around mid-2002

David