Anyone know who (if anyone) played with Tupac?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tekhna, Mar 25, 2005.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Some of the bass tones on a lot of stuff is really good, and I doubt all of it is synths. One that comes to mind is "I ain't mad at cha". Awesome growly, thick tone. It could be synth, but it just doesn't quite seem like it.
    That and the bass tone on a lot of songs seems very similar, and played in a manner that would make me think it is an actual bass.
    -Can we not turn this into a "hip-hop sucks, no it doesn't" thread? It is clear hip-hop is now a part of the musical landscape, and not going anywhere. There are some excellent artists in the mess of commercialized crap. Even if Tupac is a little older.
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Too bad he's dead eh?
    I dunno much about him, nor his "bass player" if he had one though... it'd be interesting to find out.

3. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Tupac actually played the bass on most of his records. If I remember correctly he played the bass on the song. I don't know if he had a bass player for his live shows or not. Be he could lay down the groove when it was needed.
  4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    no way you must be kidding. Tupac laid those grooves?
  5. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    Yes he did... he also played bass in one of his movies
  6. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    That's just absurd!
    That is so cool. Even more reason to respect Tupac.
  7. I've always respected Tupac for his great rythmic rappin, he has some of the greatest placement I've heard from a rapper, now I find out he played bass and it kinda makes sense.
  8. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    umm i know tupac HELD a bass in a movie he did,tupac playing bass on his tracks? i don't think so.'pac used a varity of producers,dr dre,daz dillinger,scott storch ect most of his hit's were sample based or replay's(i ain't mad a cha,how do you want it )now the flood of stuff released after his death may have some live bass on it but of course he didn't play it.
  9. I'm not sure about Tupac, but I do know that in a lot of The Notorious BIG's stuff, the bass track is unmistakeably a Fender jazz bass... you can hear it clear as day too, it's especially present on "Juicy" (a classic, BTW). A lot of these songs have the same bass part played over and over, so they could using samples that are looped.
  10. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    Tupac played bass? thats ****en bad ass if he did!

for some reason i started playing a lot of hiphop songs from dre and tupac. from tupac i liked "hit 'em up" the most, but i think that track is from an older rap song. does anyone know the name of that song and by who it is if it's true?

"let me ride" has a kick ass bass line on it too by dre. but i don't know what songs are and aren't sampled from older stuff, since they tend to do that a lot in hip hop, eh, i still like it though. nice grooves they got.
  11. Tupac was a better actor than he was a rapper. ;)
  12. golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    rap is a great genre of music if you can get into it, and ignore the pop crap that is around today. They bass lines can be really good, and help you groove really well. I know that Juan, the mars volta bassist, is a big fan of rap basslines, and he used to play them loads.

As to whether Tupac played bass - I doubt it hehe.
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    He did play one in Gridlock'd (or Gridlocked, depending), but I don't think he actually played, unless he's just really good and prentending he can't play bass on celluloid.
  14. Who is that guy who does all the bass for Dre? He had an interview in a BAss player maybee about a month ago, and he is also in the advertisment for the new Line 6 basses. umm ...Mike Elizondo. It says in the magazine,Bass Player January 2005, that he played with SNoop, Dre, Eminem, 50 Cent, Busta Rhymes and Fiona Apple,plus many more. But i would of thoought he played for Tupac, but im not sure.
  15. Daniel Villadse

Daniel Villadse

Mar 29, 2009
    I've seen a movie with Tupac Shakur where he plays at a small café in the end when the subtitles comes.
    He was not just a bass playerm he was actually insane! :D
  16. undeadbass

Jun 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    16 responses till anyone mentions Stu Brooks?! He's known for playing with Tupac, as well as Dub Trio and Peeping Tom, among others.
  17. undeadbass

Jun 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    "Let Me Ride" was built on a sample from the B section of "Mothership Connection" by Parliament. There's probably live bass on it, because the line is different, and Dre does use musicians in the studio (as well as being a musician himself, playing the screeching synth lines he's known for).
  18. nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Who played with Tupac?
    Biggie's wife.
    (that's what got his ass shot!)