Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know who made my Japanese Violin bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alex E, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Hello fellow Talk Bassers!

I bought this awful looking violin bass back in the late 80s at a pawn shop. It was covered with peel and paste-on stickers and the finish had that type residue on the parts that weren't covered.

Anyway, I bought it thinking I'd just hang it on the wall for decoration, but when I got home, I took all the stickers off and smeared the whole bass with lemon oil and stuck it in a case for a week. To my surprise it cleaned up really well and didn't look new, but it turned out to be a pretty bass. When inspecting the neck, I took the screw plate off and it had been installed backwards. The correct side is stamped "Made In Japan". The headstock of the guitar doesn't say a brand name.

With some work, it actually sounded pretty good and I used it for years. Not exactly a Hofner, but the sound wasn't that far off either, and the neck is surprisingly strong considering how thin it is. (I've played a Hofner and the Hofner neck is thicker) WHO MANUFACTURED THIS BASS??? ANYONE KNOW??

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    You will probably have to at least post pics to get a sensible answer. There have been MANY hofner copies made over the years.

3. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Hey Lug,

Yeah, I think you are right. I'll have to get some pictures on the thing. It is a curiousity thing.

Thanks, -AE