Anyone know who the Ventures are?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pocket_groover, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Just curious....everytime I see news about inductees in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I can't help but think about why the instrumental group "The Ventures" haven't been inducted yet. :mad:

For those of you who don't know who they are, they're one of the original guitar based instrumental groups in the US, starting out in the early '60s. Perhaps the tune "Walk Don't Run" or "Hawaii Five-O" or "Surf Rider" featured in the movie "Pulp Fiction" might ring a bell. AND, they're still on tour after more than 40 years (although drummer Mel Taylor has passed on and more recently, bass player Bob Bogle has stopped touring). I'm pretty sure many of the guitar players of the '60s and '70s will tell you that The Ventures must have been of some influence.

They were a major influence on most of the local bands I knew growing up in the '60s. Listen to Nokie Edwards' guitar solos in the "Live in Japan '65" album (like "Wipeout") and see what you think. It took me 40 years to finally see them live, but WOW! they're terrific.

If being inducted has anything to do with records sales, then something's wrong; check this link out:

Also, check out the info in the induction letter at this site (it lists artists who claim being influenced by the Ventures).

Anway this post is getting too long, and unless you're older like me, you may not care....thanks for listening to my rant. :D
  2. i know who they are...pretty much the best surf band ever! walk don't run was one of the first lead lines i learned!
  3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    They are to Mosrite Guitars what the Beatles are to Rickenbacker.

Mosrite Guitars, formerly made here in Bakersfield CA.
  4. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I heard that they around the 140 album mark. Can anyone verify that?

5. According to the fact page on their site:

they've released over 250 albums!

Here's another quote:

"Artists who have publicly acknowledged their musical debt to the Ventures include John Fogarty, Jimmy Page, Stanley Clarke, Steve Miller, George Harrison, the Ramones, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Larry Carleton, Dire Straits, Davie Allan, Aerosmith, Marshall Crenshaw, Sir Elton John and many more."
  6. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I am so bummed I sold my Sunburst Mosrite, and I have a friend who won't let me forget it. Also bummed as I can't find any pics of me with it.

I wore out my vinyl copy of the Ventures "Best of"
  7. That is a really good question. I'll have to look into it. I grew up listening to them on vinyl!

Anyway, I bet it's something having more to do with the record label and politics - ooh, scary word - than anything.

I'd really like to know, though. Yeah, what gives?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah I really like them, I have several of their albums. Maybe they dont have enough fame to be in the Rock and Roll hall of fame, its a shame they are a great band.
  9. My band plays the S.W.A.T. theme song by The Ventures.... and needless to say, it is freaking awesome. Funky as hell man. I like them.
  10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Or what The Shadows were to Burns of London.

Stylistically, I always felt Hank Marvin and Nokie Edwards
    had a lot in common.
  11. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    The first bass I ever bought is a blue Mosrite Ventures model. It's the cornerstone of my (tiny) bass guitar collection. Still in pretty good shape. I drag it out to a gig every couple of years - I'm a 5-string guy now.
    Always loved the Ventures, Dick Dale, the Chantays and surf music in general. My guitar player (age 21) told me last week that he wants to do "Misirlou"! I love playing with that kid!
  12. Coincidence:

I was at my sister's house yesterday going through some of my old things and picked up some of my old vinyl. Two of the 45s were the Ventures, along with some Duane Eddy, Surfaris (Wipe Out) and the Pyramids. That's what I was listening to (and trying to play) in the early sixties.
  13. Ventures not in rock-n-roll hall of fame? What a joke that place is. I guess that all those rockin' Miles Davis sides we geezers used to do the twist to are more significant. Sheesh! And speaking of the Twist, have Hank Ballard & the Midnighters been inductedyet? He only wrote the Twist along with loads of other RnR classics. Chubby Checker's versionof the Twist is a carbon copy of Hank's, only Chubby had Dick Clark & American Bandstand pushing his version. I can't stand Black Sabbath but at least they're arguably influential. I enjoyed Blondie but please- Hall of Fame material they're not.-IMO
  14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, but she looks better in black pumps that Ozzie does.
  15. Don't know how far it is from you Inkslinger, but they're playing at Asbury Lanes in Asbury Park, NJ this Saturday 3/18/06...don't know if that interests you or not; just FYI.

You know I didint know Mosrites were still made till i saw this

Yeah you dont know how suprised i was to find out about that , they have some awesome 6 string guitars on that site I wonder how the compare to the vintage ones.