Anyone knowledgeable about black powder pistols?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blendermassacre, Mar 12, 2010.

1. I was just given my grandfather's gun. A reissue of the 1851 Navy .36 caliber black powder revolver. I've never messed with any black powder weapon, so any insight would be awesome.

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    No, but I have an *actual* 1861 Navy Revolver....

[​IMG]

Carried by my great-great grandfather in the Civil War

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Your powder charge is volume, not weight!!! It can be fun, but you have to clean it after shooting or it will rust.

5. This RI was purchased by my grandmother for my grandfather the month before he passed away. I'm pretty stoked to have it. Luckily we're in Arkansas, and my dad has a good friend who is a gunsmith who I'm going to take it to tomorrow to get a once over, and hopefully buy some ammo. My grandfather actually made a leather belt and holster for it as well a knife and a leather pouch. My grandmother is going to look for the knife and pouch etc. Overall I'm pretty excited.

6. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Pacman,...that original is cool and probably worth some coin to a CW collector.

My dad had a few of those RI that he bought as a kit and put together himself. I now a navy was one of them. He had a couple smooth bore BP muskets too,...but he never shot them...at least not when I was growing up.

It's more than just Ammo BM. You'll need black powder,...balls :ninja: and flash caps.

7. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    It's a reissue, but I'd still have a gunsmith check it out, and let him advise you on its condition, bullet diameter, powder charge, type of powder, percussion caps.

From a safety issue, take a firearms handling course - they're pretty cheap.

AND, if you load more than one chamber at a time, make sure you use the proper lube on top of each powder charge - nothing like a spark from the chamber you're firing igniting the rest of them - good-bye picking hand (or worse)!

Remember, black powder is a Class A explosive, which smokeless powder is not, so ask the gunsmith, or someone knowledgeable about proper storage and handling.

Have fun!

8. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    There must be some interesting history attached to it and your g-g-grandfathers service.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I`m normally not that big into guns, but these are just too cool!

10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The pistol is worth well north of 14K at this point, but it's priceless to me and will never be for sale....

11. I've handled plenty of firearms, but never black powder. My local gunsmith is a good friend of my family, and I'm going to swing by there at 2:30 ish and see what he has to say. I'm sure he can outfit me with the necessary powder, caps, etc.

My main reason for having him look at it is well A) because it's free and b) because I do like my picking hand...

12. Just got her all cleaned up. Now to find an outdoor range to rock and roll the black powder pistol.

13. any more detailed pix?

14. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    That is a beautiful hand gun and to know it was carried by your great-great grandfather is amazing.

15. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

Not at the moment, as I'm in Japan. My guns are with a friend :(

16. awwhawahaw tha is sooo cool :bassist:

17. Ah, the .36 Navy ! it is a superior feeling and handling sidearm, well balanced and comfortable. Ol' Wild Bill Hickok preferred 'em...

there are many very well made replica/clones in circulation, unfortunately there are also many that are -shall we say- not so well made ?
    if it has a brass frame, it's safety could be suspect....

make sure the main cylinder pin itself is tight to the frame, and that the barrel is held absolutely solid by the wedge.
    Also, the edges of cylinder's locking notches should be sharp, with little to no scoring around the circumference.

Parts and DIY know-how are abundant fortunately....

18. The gunsmith I took it too is notoriously anal retentive (tool of the trade, I guess). He said the tolerances looked way above par for the brand. I he also told me the recipe to load the rounds, etc. I've been looking online for decent deals on balls, a black powder measure, and wads. (I've also noticed that black powder firearms are especially phallic: ram rods, balls, wads, etc)

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021