Anyone knows about Kent Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Macron69, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    'cuz i sure don't, other than they exist and i own one. But as far as company history or everything else is all a mystery to me.
    I'm posting this pics if anyone recognizes this bass. I'ts pretty old and beat up, not really in shape to gig with it. But it has a nice tone. Some one has to know something about this.

Attached Files:

2. Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    more pics

Attached Files:

3. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think they were Japanese back in the 60s-70s. They were a beginner-intermediate bass back then, but some are sought-after for their rarity. That's all I know.
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    They were a beginners bass only! entry level instuments that even learning bass players playing in bands had upgrading from. The kinda bass you find in a dank bsmt where guy's used to jam way back when. A first bass that you upgraded from when you decided to get into the instrument. Horrible action, crap electronics, even worse tuners. Jmho
  5. +1

I never owned one, but I had friends who did...and wished they didn't!
  6. I'm not sure about that bass but I know Hagstrom sold stuff under the Kent name back in th 60's and 70's. Hagstrom is a Swedish company btw.
  7. Back in the mid 70s, I bought an amp, a microphone and a Kent guitar for 70 CAN$. Looked OK but nothing special. I sold it soon after.
  8. Jeez, that thing has more thumbrests than an Xbox controller.

Minus a cupholder.
  9. Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    According electric guitars and basses 2004 encyclopedia the Kent brandname appeared on some of the earliest Japanese-made imported to the US by New York distributor Buegeleisen
    & Jacobson in around 1962. They were beginner instruments
    and they were made by Guyatone & Teisco Co.
    Kent brand guitars did not survive the 1960's

:bassist: :hyper:

10. Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks for the replies, guys. much appreciated.