1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone knows about Kent Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Macron69, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Macron69

Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    'cuz i sure don't, other than they exist and i own one. But as far as company history or everything else is all a mystery to me.
    I'm posting this pics if anyone recognizes this bass. I'ts pretty old and beat up, not really in shape to gig with it. But it has a nice tone. Some one has to know something about this.

Attached Files:

2. Macron69

Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    more pics

Attached Files:

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think they were Japanese back in the 60s-70s. They were a beginner-intermediate bass back then, but some are sought-after for their rarity. That's all I know.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    They were a beginners bass only! entry level instuments that even learning bass players playing in bands had upgrading from. The kinda bass you find in a dank bsmt where guy's used to jam way back when. A first bass that you upgraded from when you decided to get into the instrument. Horrible action, crap electronics, even worse tuners. Jmho

5. +1

I never owned one, but I had friends who did...and wished they didn't!

6. I'm not sure about that bass but I know Hagstrom sold stuff under the Kent name back in th 60's and 70's. Hagstrom is a Swedish company btw.

7. Back in the mid 70s, I bought an amp, a microphone and a Kent guitar for 70 CAN$. Looked OK but nothing special. I sold it soon after.

8. Jeez, that thing has more thumbrests than an Xbox controller.

Minus a cupholder.

9. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
    According electric guitars and basses 2004 encyclopedia the Kent brandname appeared on some of the earliest Japanese-made imported to the US by New York distributor Buegeleisen
    & Jacobson in around 1962. They were beginner instruments
    and they were made by Guyatone & Teisco Co.
    Kent brand guitars did not survive the 1960's

:bassist: :hyper:

René

10. Macron69

Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks for the replies, guys. much appreciated.