Anyone knows anything about chorus/flanger pedal for bass Guyatone PS-039 B-IV?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Meysiv, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Meysiv

Meysiv

Oct 31, 2021
    Paris, France
    I bought this pedal off a second-hand shop in Tokyo a few years back, with no box, no manual.

guyatone_ps_039.jpg

I kinda forgot it on a shelf for some time but recently started to use it again.

I searched a bit online, but there's no much informations. A few second-hand ads stating it's from the 80's, maybe early 90's.
    As for the features, it has two chorus modes that I can't really differenciate, and one flanger mode. The Manual and Resonance knobs are inactive on choruses modes and only apply to the flanger mode.

I emailed Guyatone and they told me that unfortunately a lot of paperwork and informations were lost over time and that they were now trying to gather it all back in order to put up an online library with all their gear and related informations.

As for the sound, it sounds fairly alright. I don't have much experience with modulation pedals so maybe a chorus purist would laugh it off, but it sounds quite full and lush to my ears. Maybe a bit over the top, you're more on the jet side of flanger and even the chorus tends to do so with a drive in front of it. But for throwing big unapologetic psychedelic/doom/stoner riffs, it has something to it.
    It does not eat-up the low end at all. However I noticed that it tends to saturate / to gate when punched to hard into. I doubt it would be usable at all with an active bass. I don't know if that's a problem with this model or this very unit or if that's something quite common with vintage modulation pedals (I read some similar things about other vintage pedals, but again I'm not very knowledgeable about modulation).

So here's with all I know and gathered about it. Now if anyone here knows anything about it, has a manual (even in Japanese), knows about these two choruses modes I can't really tell apart, knows if it's a copy of something or an original take by Guyatone, or even if you play(ed) with it and want to share about it, I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks in advance!

2. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    I think I have seen Guyatone Equipment in Aotearoa

I’ll ask on the local site and see if anyone knows. I think it’s early 1990’s

3. Meysiv

Meysiv

Oct 31, 2021
    Paris, France
    Most of the second-hand ads say 80's, but I also found an entry saying that this PS series started in early 90's as a global improvement of Guyatone's previous series of pedals.

Thank you for your help!

4. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    dubrosa22 and Meysiv like this.
  5. Meysiv

Meysiv

Oct 31, 2021
    Paris, France
    That's a nice find! Thank you!

So the price tag was ¥12,000 at the time! That's funny, it's roughly the price I paid at this second hand store. Even though yen must have been at an all-time-low at the time.

6. dubrosa22

dubrosa22

Jun 8, 2022
    Sydney
    I've been researching Guyatone pedals lately since rediscovering my old '83 Distortion -Sustain PS-011.

The Guyatone PS series has been around since the mid '70s with the model designation PS-1**. These were the popular pastel coloured boxes.

In around 1982 the PS series was revamped and the model numbers changed to PS-0**. Models PS-01 to 09 were all black and very '80s styled.

In 1983 the PS-010-015 were added to the line-up and were black with chrome/metal finishes and knobs. These new pedals usually added another feature (Sustain, Limiter, etc. ). These look kinda crappy but are very good.

And then the early '90s (the catalog linked above) they reverted back to more colourful Boss-like appearance which your PS-039 seems to belong to. These pedals look like they are very good, I'd love to find one someday.

1976 catalog:
    Guyatone Catalog 1976

1983 catalog:
    Guyatone Catalog 1983

IMG_20220814_162234.jpg

Dubby

Meysiv and foal30 like this.
  7. dubrosa22

dubrosa22

Jun 8, 2022
    Sydney
    The serial numbers on the rear seem to be fairly accurate to date. First 2 digits are the year:
    IMG_20220814_165520.jpg

foal30 likes this.
  8. Meysiv

Meysiv

Oct 31, 2021
    Paris, France

Thank you for all these informations dubrosa22! That's always so cool to go back in time like this! It's really interesting how this brand evolved.

This catalogues are gems, I actually love the 80's design of the pedals! Gotta look peculiar on a board.

dubrosa22 likes this.