1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone knows something about Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5-string (fretless)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kemkes, Aug 22, 2005.

1. kemkes

kemkes

Jul 12, 2005
    Hello,

I am thinking about buying a cheaper 5-string (maybe fretless) as a complement to my other basses.

Dows anywone here have any experience from playing the Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5-strings with or without frets, and can tell me a bit about them?

Around here few shops have them. I have played a 4-string (fretted) Rockbass Corvette a couple of times and thought it was pretty good.

Or if someone can suggest a good alternative to the Rockbasses in the same price range ($500-700)?

Normally I play Musicman Stingray 4-string, Warwick Streamer LX and an old Hofner. I play rock, pop and soul/funk.

Best regards,
    /Henrik

2. I bought one, slightly used, fretless, from someone on this forum about a year and something ago.

The short answer is I think it's a great bass for the money I paid for it. I think it's a BALL to play, I find it very comfortable, very natural, has a great neck, throw some TI Flats on there and it's just terrific.

What I don't like: the treble control - this 'growl' business about Warwicks, feh. The treble control adds 'click' or 'clank', depending. I don't know if the EQ setting on it is adjustable, but the frequency only adds annoying sound, IMO.

Mine also has this weird thing where the battery just gets drained. I brought mine to a guy I know yesterday, who thinks it's either the jack or the fact that one of the poles from the battery clip is in contact with something else - like the ground - that would cause it to empty itself.

I brought it to get fixed because I really, really enjoy playing that bass, and want to use it more frequently, but it's a total PITA to change the battery before every gig. I'm also asking the guy about putting in a quick-change battery thing, but we'll see about that.

My review of it is on harmony-central. I really like it, I think mine was an excellent value, and I really enjoy playing it.

All that said - you should look around for a regular Corvette. You might be able to swing one used for the money you're talking about spending.

Hope that helps - good luck.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    As I'm sure you already know, you can pick up a used fretless stingray for around the same price. Or even get a new one for just a couple hundred more. I personally love the sound of fretless MM basses, and in fact woke up this morning fantasizing about one - which means the GAS is once again starting to boil up in my stomach.

I'm fantasizing about basses... I used to fantasize about women. What's happening here?