Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone knows something about Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5-string (fretless)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kemkes, Aug 22, 2005.

1. kemkes

kemkes

Jul 12, 2005
    Hello,

I am thinking about buying a cheaper 5-string (maybe fretless) as a complement to my other basses.

Dows anywone here have any experience from playing the Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5-strings with or without frets, and can tell me a bit about them?

Around here few shops have them. I have played a 4-string (fretted) Rockbass Corvette a couple of times and thought it was pretty good.

Or if someone can suggest a good alternative to the Rockbasses in the same price range ($500-700)?

Normally I play Musicman Stingray 4-string, Warwick Streamer LX and an old Hofner. I play rock, pop and soul/funk.

Best regards,
    /Henrik

2. I bought one, slightly used, fretless, from someone on this forum about a year and something ago.

The short answer is I think it's a great bass for the money I paid for it. I think it's a BALL to play, I find it very comfortable, very natural, has a great neck, throw some TI Flats on there and it's just terrific.

What I don't like: the treble control - this 'growl' business about Warwicks, feh. The treble control adds 'click' or 'clank', depending. I don't know if the EQ setting on it is adjustable, but the frequency only adds annoying sound, IMO.

Mine also has this weird thing where the battery just gets drained. I brought mine to a guy I know yesterday, who thinks it's either the jack or the fact that one of the poles from the battery clip is in contact with something else - like the ground - that would cause it to empty itself.

I brought it to get fixed because I really, really enjoy playing that bass, and want to use it more frequently, but it's a total PITA to change the battery before every gig. I'm also asking the guy about putting in a quick-change battery thing, but we'll see about that.

My review of it is on harmony-central. I really like it, I think mine was an excellent value, and I really enjoy playing it.

All that said - you should look around for a regular Corvette. You might be able to swing one used for the money you're talking about spending.

Hope that helps - good luck.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    As I'm sure you already know, you can pick up a used fretless stingray for around the same price. Or even get a new one for just a couple hundred more. I personally love the sound of fretless MM basses, and in fact woke up this morning fantasizing about one - which means the GAS is once again starting to boil up in my stomach.

I'm fantasizing about basses... I used to fantasize about women. What's happening here?