1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone knows who builds ramps?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lo end PUNCH, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I need an ebony ramp built for my Conklin 7, does anyone know any luthiers who will build one made to order?, any info will be greatly appreciated.

2. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    No one? I've seen a gazillion of them on here, somebody please chime in, my first instinct was to do it myself but I'd probably jack it all up soooooooooooo....?:help:

3. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    What is a ramp?

4. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    i've heard that pete skjold builds them, or has built one, anyway...might want to call him...someone else was saying a while back that a guy built a ramp for him in pennsylvania, i think it was...and, also, john dimaggio, formerly with bass alone, built all of norm stockton's ramps...he may still make them, if asked...you could probably email bass alone and ask how to get in touch with him

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Thanks neptoon, yeah I heard about the former Bass Alone owner too but I dont think he's in the bussiness any longer.

6. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    no problem...bud doesn't have any interest in givin' the ramp thing a whirl?

7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Build one yourself! They are not hard to do?

Dan K.

8. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    We already got something in the plans right now and yes, it will have a ramp!!:ninja:

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    How are they attached? Dont wanna drill holes in the bass, two way tape maybe? what kind? I'm sure I can do it though.

10. THG Knobs: http://www.thgknobs.com/
    They do other cool things you might like too.

BTW, Ramps are attached with double sided tape.

11. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    just a heads up, you have redundant "www.http://" causing you link to not work.

12. Fixed! Thanks.

13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    On my old Brase I got a piece of ebony because of the color and then took the strings off the bass and loosened the pickups. I then took a piece of paper and used the side of a pencil to do a rubbing of the pickups area. Transferred that rubbing to the ebony (glued on with rubber cement) and then used that as a template for cutting and sanding. Then next one I do will be radiused to match the strings. Took about 2 hours to do, sanded to 400 grit and waxed.

I tested it with the double side tape you use for wrapping presents ($1.97 at Target) and then used carpet tape when I was sure I liked it.

Dan K.

14. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    I imagine you could design a ramp yourself using some wood & supplies from Home Depot or Lowe's. Use the double-sided tape.

When I was in Oklahoma, my friend built a cool ramp. It was shaped like a quarterpipe and about 5 feet tall. We used it to jump our freestyle bikes into the lake. Good times.

15. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Make your own ramp. I used plexiglass for mine over 20 years ago.

[​IMG]

16. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Thanks to all, gonna head to Lowe's and get a nice piece of Ebony and I think I'm gonna get one of the shop teachers at one of the high schools I work at to cut it out for me, dont know a lot about sandpaper so I'll need to know what to buy.

17. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    So I may sound stupid and I know this is off=topic, but what is a ramp? and what is it's purpose?

18. You can use it to rest your fingers on, if you want to play somewhere there isn't a pickup to rest on.

19. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    The best ramp is called the floating thumb technique!

20. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    No wonder I don't have one then - - My fingers never rest while I'm playing.