Anyone knows why mr Mccartney are playing with a hofner and not a Rick???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zack01, Aug 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    He have the money to buy a Rick why dont he play it??The hofner is a cheap bass......
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

When he started playing the bass after their former bass player left, the Hoffner was the only lefty instrument he could afford.
    I guess he got used to it.

By the way, he could probably afford to buy the whole Rickenbacker company.
  3. I think he plays the Hofner more out of nostalgia than anything. It's his trademark bass... they don't call it "The Beatle Bass" for nothin'.;)

I've read interviews where he says, because of the it's shorter scale, he tends to approach bass playing differently on the Hofner than any other bass he's played. I'm sure there's a comfort factor involved.
  4. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    He most likely keeps the body and neck the same and puts new pick ups on it a tweeks with the sound. I mean he is a bajillionair
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    It's stock... Initially started with the Hofner because of it's price tag and due to the fact that it's body is symmetrical, it looked less 'goofy' played left handed... It's not a 'cheap' instrument, the build quality is excellent and it gets a sound that is hard to duplicate and is very sought after.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    This is what these "cheap" basses are listed for at Elderly Instruments:

30" scale length, sunburst finish. This differs from the HOF500 in these ways - no fretboard binding, more rounded heel shape, vintage-style cream & gold knobs, "staple" pickups in wider spacing. (This is different than the '61 reissue "Cavern" bass available from England)
    HOF63L .. list $3455.00 ours Inquire for Price
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You sure like Macca, don't you?
  8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    First, Hofner "Beatle basses" are pure crap. They are cheap in quality, but not in price...

Secondly, Paul does NOT need to buy a Rick : he just has to give a call to the Rickenbacker company, and he'll be provided with any model he wants, for free. On early 2001, while he was in LA for the recording of "Driving rain" album, he was given a 4001C64 by the Rickenbacker company.

But, as said by someone else in this thread, Paul often said that he feels more comfortable with the neck of the Hofner. Also, it is a "fetish" bass for him, the one that made him famous, and I guess playing with it is a kind of "superstition"...

Though, Paul also used Yamaha and Wal basses. And circa 1968/1969 (white album and Abbey Road), he used to play a Fender Jazz Bass.

All the best,
  9. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The Fender was played by George or John when Paul would play piano.
  10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    As far as I remember, Paul indeed played a Jazz Bass through those years. The bass George or John played was a Fender Bass VI.

But I'll double check the information in my archives...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.