Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone like billy gould?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Apr 13, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i have been on a faith no more kick for like the last month. it has occured to me that billy gould is probably one of the best bassist ive ever heard. sure he doesnt do all the fancy stuff, but hell he'f really good. and on top of that faith no more was awsome. what do you all think?

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Indeed, very solid, great pocket, great sound, great player....... the perfect match for Mike Bordin (drumer)

One of my all time favorite bass players.:bassist:

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    One of these days I might actually get around to listening to some FNM...but from what I have heard of the lyrics, I won't find it too comfortable to add to my cd collection. :meh:

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly, he was always a great surprise every album. Anybody know where he is now?

5. I've read interviews in which he said he was influenced by "the guy from cameo" (Aaron mills) and Barry Adamson of Magazine.

the bass sounds on "the Real thing" from his Aria Integra are some of my favourite bass tones ever- the sound on "Epic" and "the morning after", which sounds half-picked, half slapped, and the growling fingerstyle tone on "falling to pieces".

I particularly like the melodic intro to "zombie eaters".

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Why? don´t be scared, Mike Patton is mad, I have to admit it, but his lyrics are really funny.... sometimes :rolleyes:

He use to play in a death metal band called Brujeria, and I also know he was producer for some other bands......

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    paton is a great lyricist. yea some of his stuff is not so hot.

and the bordin/gould connection was ****ing awsome. billy is now running kool arrow records. and probably still playing bass somewhere. hopefully he will go somewhere agian. man how sweet would it be to see fnm back together...

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    At time FNM's lyrics are cheesy, sometimes they are funny, sometimes they are cool, sometimes they are just stupid. But it's OK. Everyone in Faith No More played an important part. I really like Billy Gould and Mike Bordin. And Mike Patton's got my fav. rock voice of all time. I've only had their best of for a while now, but a couple weeks ago I bought "The Real thing" "Angel Dust" and "King for a day, fool for a lifetime." All very cool, Angel dust is the best IMO. But my opinions always vary on bands that I really like as far as best album goes.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Don't quote me on this, but I heard somewhere that Limp Bizkit and some other folks tried to pay FNM to reunite and tour with them. They shot it down though because they said if they ever got back together, they'd do it for their own reasons, not because Limp Bizkit wants them to. This was a while ago. NOW would be a pretty good time I think. They just released a new best of. It be nice to see them.

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    FMN released a new best of? cool, ill have to get that one. anyway, yea now would be a good time.

11. It's a shame Billy Gould and Faith No More were so under-appreciated. To all those "Korn rules!" kiddies: Faith No More and Anthrax were doing this nearly 15 years ago.

12. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I second that. While I dig all of their albums (w/ Patton, I never got into their first one), I gotta say that "Angel Dust" is my favorite. A friend of mine turned me on to Incubus not too long ago and I couldn't help but notice that it seems they were highly influenced by FNM. Anyone else see a slight sonic resemblance between the two?

13. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Indeed. One of my many regrets in life was never seeing that band perform live. I even had a chance to see them in a small club with Soundgarden and (I believe) Voivod in '89 or 90 and blew it. Ahhhh, regrets.

14. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I think Billy was a main factor in the FNM sound, while they kept rotating guitarists the drive and the edge stayed with the music. He and Bordon held that edge down. And Patton went crazy over it...great stuff.

I saw them a few times on different tours, the most pwerful was the last one for "Album of the Year" I thought.

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea i definately believe album of the year was the greatest one. aptly titiled too.