1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone like old books?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Mostly I have several old Philo Vance mystery novels. The books were published in the 20's and 30's. I don't have any first editions but I have some pretty old ones. There are newer paperback versions but I like the really old hard cover books. The novels are not that popular now and can be had a pretty reasonable prices.
    Philo Vance was and American version of Sherlock Holmes and the novels were pretty popular in their day. I know of one movie version with William Powell as the detective.
    Anyone else collect old books?

513Mbz21XbL._UY250_.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    MattZilla likes this.
  2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Currently reading The Brothers Kamarazov by Dosteyevsky. I like it.

3. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I just recently picked up a copy of The Light Of Asia by Sir Edwin Arnold. It was published in 1889. It's not in bad shape, but it could use a little restoration.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I have the Iliad, the Odyssey and Bill Shakespear's complete works, none are first editions; or even 50th for that matter. I have a few first editions but they aren't collectible. Lots of dectecive and cop novels, a fair number of spy stories, historical novels and even some science and religious books. I also have a good number of Issac Asimov's SiFi, though most of that is in paperback.

slobake likes this.
  5. slobake

Great stuff, I read Homer and Asimov when I was a kid. I still like his writing. JEHOSAPHAT! the robot series is my favorite. Foundation is too slow for me.

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    He tied them all together. The robot, the spacer worlds and the Foundation series are all interrelated.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have a nice 30's copy of Kipling's The Light That Failed. I also have a number of 40 year old Pogo cartoon collections, and some Mickey Spillane detectives from the 50's and 60's.

7118512-M.

slobake likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I'll read anything, but no collecting. Kid going to college and all.

slobake likes this.
  9. slobake

Just looked at my bookshelf and notice I have this from 1966.

[​IMG]

ONYX and Rich Fiscus like this.
  10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    No, that is all ;)

11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    My favorite Christmas present this year. My son gave me this gem which was published in 1963:

NMCngXL.

It's a hardback that originally sold for $3.00. The dust cover is in pretty decent shape considering that it's nearly 54 years old.

slobake likes this.
  12. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Cool. I have never heard of these! I love a good detective story. Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe is my favorite 'vintage detective'. I heard an interview with Rex's daughter wherein she said that he composed each story entirely in his mind before writing it down. That is amazing to me.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  13. slobake

These are classic old school detective novels. The front page of each one lists all the characters including Currie, Vance's valet. The detective is a wealthy dilettante who lives in NYC. He smokes Reggies and one of his favorite lines is "I say old boy, have a Reggie." The stories usually end with all the suspects gathered in one room and Vance revealing the culprit.

spiritbass likes this.
  14. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    I would not describe myself as a book collector - I don't concern myself over-much with what edition it is, have a carefully climate-controlled room for the collection, put on white gloves to handle them, etc. - I can enjoy a well-bound book and good paper - but I'm there for the content, even if it's cheap pulp that's falling apart.

One of the neatest little cheap (but not pulp) reprints I've met was William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience You've almost certainly met the words of some of the poems before - (Tiger, tiger, burning bright, in the forests of the night... is one) - What I didn't know until this reprint showed up on a class book list was that the words were less than half of Mr Blake's art - he was an engraver, and the poems as originally published are all in detailed, engraved plates which in some cases change the way you might interpret the words. Perhaps there's a decent version of those in digital form now, I don't know. There are some versions that are not his illustrations out there, as various people have tried to make a buck or a shilling off his work posthumously. Seek out the originals.

But that's not really representative of the bulk of the dead trees piled up around here. Mysteries, sci-fi, cookbooks, wooddorking, gardening...many of them are old, some came here that way and got moreso, some started out new.

slobake likes this.
  15. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    This guy reckons I do,

I've got a few old ones. I was flipping through this one only yesterday (mine's a reader, well and truly). Pictures are really amazing. The book's huge. I haven't read it yet even though it's been in the family since '71. Might get around to actually reading it one day.

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I was a member of the Science Fiction book club starting in 1964, and i have a number of club hard covers from the late 60's and 70's. There's some very good stuff in there.

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes! They do a superb job of leveling old furniture in an old house!

slobake and spiritbass like this.
  18. slobake

I see, so you are one of those guys who is not on the level but tries to prop himself up with books.

shadowtippy and two fingers like this.
  19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :roflmao: Precisely.

Actually, I really enjoy reading my mother's collection of the old Perry Mason books when I am up that way. They are better than the TV show and I loved that show growing up.

slobake likes this.
  20. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    I have a handful of old books but they are different than what's being described in this thread. I'm not into fiction, but I like old manuals and technical stuff.