1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone like playing styles of music that they wouldn't like listening to?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by WyrdoBass, Sep 16, 2008.

1. For example, I play classical music for school orchestra. I hate listening to classical music, but love playing it. Same thing with some simple funk that I tried. I'm curious, does anyone else have genres they dont like listening to but love to play?

...or am I just wyrd?

2. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Nothing is more fun that playing free jazz or noise rock, but I cannot stand listening to it. Most annoying stuff in the world, haha.

3. Equin

Equin

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I hate listening to metal and any variations of it, however I have jammed many times on metal oriented music.

Jazz is the most annoying stuff in the world? 0_0

:eyebrow:

4. I better Duck here, But JAZZ... Never listen to Miles Davis/Sonny Rollins over and over etc but playing it is another thing

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I played tenor sax in a Community Concert Band for years. It was fun, even though I would never listen to the music outside of the band.

But that doesn't mean you aren't wyrd :p

6. I think he meant free jazz, the kind in which many people scoop all the musicality out to fit more technical show into the song (not everybody, ive seen some people do some really musical free jazz, but the average free jazz player around here, just does it to show off)

I cant stand listening to free jazz, but maybe once or twice played it and liked it.

I've never been in the situation where ive had to play something i don't like listening to, and actually liked it. For me it happens all the way around, i don't like playing stuff i like listening (for example, sometimes I'm in a really heavy rock or prog rock mood, but i remember i hate following the guitar player around, playing as fast as i can, or just furiously striking sixteenths on the B string)

7. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Free jazz, noise rock, avant garde, etc. Not your everyday Johnny Hodges.

8. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I listen to Fiona Apple, Ani DiFranco, Sarah McLachlan, Dave Matthews Band, Gooding, Billy Joel, U2, The Postal Service, and lots of blues & jazz.

I like playing contemporary Christian worship music, funk, and heavy rock. I don't listen to these genres outside of performing them. I don't like playing blues or jazz on bass either, although ~80% of my music collection is somewhere between those two genres.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    :eek: I think they made a mistake and put the roadies up on stage! :eek:

10. I can't take listening to just about any jazz except for a few select people and album's but I REALLY like playing walking basslines. Couldn't tell you why they just strike me as fun to play and challenging to write interesting ones.

11. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    It's funny. The music I like now is because I wanted to expand and play different styles and ended up liking them a lot. (Blues, Jazz, Prog Rock, Funk, etc)

I think I've played enough punk and ska in my early days for a life time, but even so, I can still go back and play it and have a good time. Depends on my mood I guess.

12. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I am of the mind that any genre is fun to play, if the musicians I'm with are decent.
    In such situations, I'll play all kinds of stuff I wouldn't normally listen too.

As mentioned above, every genere I have seriously explored as a learning process have ended up as a preference for enjoyable listening.

13. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    This is true. Find people good at what they do and play with them, because its going to be fun, no matter what genre.

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I find any sort of solo or lead bass music much more fun to play than to listen to.