Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone like the d'addario chrome flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Mar 8, 2005.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    I'd like to try flats and the only ones i can find at the two music stores near me are the d'addario.just wondering what the general concensus on these are beofore i just mailorder a different type.looking for a smooth mellow old school sound.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like Chromes. A lot. If you really want the old school sound, you'll need to roll off your tone a bit, as they're somewhat aggressive-sounding for flats. However, they do the thump thing really well IME.

3. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    But not as convincingly as TI's i take it?

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If you can get Chromes locally, go for it! You won't be disappointed.

5. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I wouldn't say that. I never found TI's to be ultra-thumpy. Other flats, including GHS (not my favorite), Fender, and La Bella are what I'd call super-thumpy. Chromes are right in there.

6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I like my chromes :hyper:

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I just put them on my new fretless, and WOW! I love em. They're SOOOO low and thumpy.

8. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ten beers,
    i've used them for a while. i think they're great. good thump great tone. definatly not dead. very versatile. from dubby to almost round bright you can get it out of them. I've been asked how i made my Electric sound like an upright while using them and i've also brightened the EQ and used a pick and played them in my Punk band. Great thump with a little growly bite if you use a pick. I strongly recomend them.

Just remember to wipe them off well before you put them on. they have a fine black metalic powder on them from the polishing process. i've written the company, they said that they clean them at the factory before they ship them but if you dont give them a wipe down before you play you'll get black fingers. But this makes them silky smooth.

~trav

9. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I like mine; they're very good strings. At first I was very disappointed with them unplugged. As soon as I plugged them in and broke them in a bit that all changed. Very good sounding strings.

10. i put chromes on my Thumb 6 BO they sound wicked. :bassist:

11. I want a set of Chromes for my P... to replace my long-used set of TI Flats.

Reason: no thump from the TI flats.

Very even tone, lots of mids. I'm just not getting that fat P-thump I think I should be getting.

Also curious about how DA Chromes will do on my fretless. Extra bright is not a problem here.

12. They're my favorite flats now. I can't believe I didn't try them sooner!

13. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I didn't get the black finger thing from the set I put on about a month ago. I don't remember whether I did or not prior to that, because it's been a while since I bought a new set (except for these).

14. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I'm just curious...have you tried a little foam under the strings by the bridge, then turning it up a little? I was really surprised at the change in the sound this makes...the lost art of mutes? That's the way that "old school thump" was done when it was new.

15. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Felt would work well also. My friend has a '73 i think MM. The Bridge has a thumb screwed spring with felt pads for each string, so that you can mute each string seperatly. I've also seem some really old hollow bodies with mechanical switches that raised and lowered a felt bar that muted the strings near the bridge.

~trav

16. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    "Chromes" are EXCELLENT strings. I have them on two of my basses ... Musicman SR4 & Yamaha BB-X :)

17. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Yeah, I have an old EBO with the bar bridge, and there is a mute built in that takes a bar of felt and moves it up and down to mute from under the strings. Since bgavin said a P, I was thinking Carol Kaye and Jamerson, who both used foam. I tried a little roll of foam jammed right against the bridge and it worked pretty well. I did notice that if you move it just a little, or use a little less or more, it really changes the sound. It really is an art to get it just right.

18. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    thanks for the replies,i think i'm going to go ahead and score me a pack right now :bassist:

19. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Then Chromes are for you :) They sound great on my P-Bass