Anyone like the SWR Workingmans 1-10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I am starting music school and need a really light weight combo to carry. I would be using it for electric and upright. Also for practice, ensembles, recitals. Also is the combo capable of sitting on top of a Bag End S-15D 8 ohms and pushing it too?

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Workingmans 10 is OK IMO. It doesn't have a whole lot of low end, and the tweeter hisses. It is good for practice, but not really as a gigging amp. The Gallien Krueger MB150 has it all over the WM10. Much broader range of tones, and it can drive an extension cab + internal speaker to 150 watts RMS. A much better buy IMO.
  3. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I also LOVE the GK, but I can't afford it so I do have a Workingmans 1 x 10. I like it a lot for my upright b/c I feel that it gets a nice natural tone. I have a degree in double bass and that got me through a lot of my small jazz combo gigs with flying colors. I used a David Gage Realist pick up on my upright with it and I was VERY pleased. I do hook my SWR to a 15" every now and then, but I am not totally pleased with how it pushes it. It is ok but not as good as the GK. If you can find a cheap SWR 1x10 in ebay then you are set fo practice.

you can turn the tweeter off....mine doesn't hiss that bad....a little...
  4. I have a WM 10 combo up for sale!
  5. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    How much? How old? Condition? How much for shipping to 35205?
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I 've owned one of these for 3+ years. Very light weight and compact! I use it for home practice and soft smaller gigs and jams where I don't want to lug my larger cabs (EA 1-12L / 45lbs; and Eden 2-10XLTs/ 70 lbs each).

The cab is a good value if you buy it used or at a discount. The sound quality isn't the best, but it has decent lows, mids, and highs. Yes, the tweeter is a little harsh, but that's to be expected in this price range. It does the job adequately, provided you understand the cab's limitations and don't try to use it in a demanding sutation.