Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone like the SWR Workingmans 1-10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I am starting music school and need a really light weight combo to carry. I would be using it for electric and upright. Also for practice, ensembles, recitals. Also is the combo capable of sitting on top of a Bag End S-15D 8 ohms and pushing it too?

Thanks

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Workingmans 10 is OK IMO. It doesn't have a whole lot of low end, and the tweeter hisses. It is good for practice, but not really as a gigging amp. The Gallien Krueger MB150 has it all over the WM10. Much broader range of tones, and it can drive an extension cab + internal speaker to 150 watts RMS. A much better buy IMO.

3. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I also LOVE the GK, but I can't afford it so I do have a Workingmans 1 x 10. I like it a lot for my upright b/c I feel that it gets a nice natural tone. I have a degree in double bass and that got me through a lot of my small jazz combo gigs with flying colors. I used a David Gage Realist pick up on my upright with it and I was VERY pleased. I do hook my SWR to a 15" every now and then, but I am not totally pleased with how it pushes it. It is ok but not as good as the GK. If you can find a cheap SWR 1x10 in ebay then you are set fo practice.

Matt

PS
    you can turn the tweeter off....mine doesn't hiss that bad....a little...

4. I have a WM 10 combo up for sale!

5. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    How much? How old? Condition? How much for shipping to 35205?

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I 've owned one of these for 3+ years. Very light weight and compact! I use it for home practice and soft smaller gigs and jams where I don't want to lug my larger cabs (EA 1-12L / 45lbs; and Eden 2-10XLTs/ 70 lbs each).

The cab is a good value if you buy it used or at a discount. The sound quality isn't the best, but it has decent lows, mids, and highs. Yes, the tweeter is a little harsh, but that's to be expected in this price range. It does the job adequately, provided you understand the cab's limitations and don't try to use it in a demanding sutation.