Anyone like to play Water Polo?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Aug 29, 2002.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, i'm now in my third week of water polo, and so far we have had two practices a day, all conditioning and scrimaging. I must say that it is gettting kind of tedious(sp?) but people tell me that all this work is well worth it for water polo. as far as the mock-games, they are not that fun now, (i have no idea what im doing) but all of the vetran players seem to love water polo

so, i gues my question is, is it worth it??

2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I think it's cruel to the horses. Horses can't swim.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    We used to play water polo about twice a season during swim team back in high school. Man, that is one violent game! It's like a swim race while trying to catch and throw a ball with water in your eyes and twenty people trying to drown you. It's fun though, and you will need all the practice you can get. Whenever we'd play, all the weaker swimmers and freshmen would just get demolished. It can probably get you in great shape though, so it's worth it for that.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ya gotta keep its head up...*

*From an episode of M*A*S*H

Seriously, I've never played 'cause I can't swim.
    WP does look like a pretty intense sport as far as conditioning goes...kinda like hockey if the ice melts.
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I used to go play underwater rugby with local diving club guys. It's much like water polo, except that it's underwater with snorkels, masks and flippers. No air tanks. The air shortage makes it an interesting game :D
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I played Waterpolo from 9th grade through college.
    I swam AAU and summer leagues from when I was 5 years old up to college. I swam in high school too.

I played in the Empire State Games while in high school. That lasted all summer for practices and turned into a two-week tournament.

Very tiring sport. Rough too. I mainly set hole (2-meter man in California). It's like greco-roman wrestling in the water.

I think I was about the dirtiest player in NCAA Division-I.

WaterPolo is an awesome sport. Is it worth it - worth what?
    1- any scholarships are all out on the west coast where the players are all 6'6" or taller and easily turn sub-50-second 100m free (I'm totally serious on both counts).
    2 - of course there's no real chance of going pro.

If you want to get in the best shape of your life and beat the crap out of someone in the pool - go for it.
  7. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    During swim season we usually play once a week or so. I hated it because the majority of the team was seniors that were the freshmen when our team dominated, so they were all pretty hardcore. But after the season ended someone got some games going after school and it was way awesome. Its definently a fun game when you get used to it, so Id stick with it.
  8. Here is a pick of me playing my first week.
    Never even rode a horse before this.
    Took a month before the guys I played with told me the saddle goes on top.

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hehe...I take the lazy way. I'm on an intermural inntertube water polo team. Lots of fun, and it will get you pretty tired, but I'm to lazy and too crappy a swimmer to try the real thing.
  10. I play Marco Polo.....

Rock on